Bringing Desktop from USA?....

Supercharged

Registered
Hi y'all. I wanted to ask if anyone brought a DESKTOP from the US and their EZE experience (for the lack of a better word). I don't want to pay outrageous prices on an Apple desktop here even if I have to pay fees. I am in desperate need to have one for my biz. Any experience is greatly appreciated! oh brtw I do need to enter with my Argentine Passport....

i got my desktop here from the US but not through EZE. my stuff was shipped in a container and came in through the port.

if you bring it through the airport you can expect to have to declare it and pay duty.

Someone mentioned bringing in a 27" iMac a few years ago on the forum.

I have brought a couple down over the years, along with a couple of decent sized flat screen computer monitors. No problems whatsoever at customs, but I do make sure to tape a piece of 1/8" thick plywood over the screen, so the dont get broken or scratched. Currently, I run a Mac Mini, which was much easier to carry in my checked luggage, with a flat screen monitor I bought at FraVega. Its a reasonably priced way to get a current Mac (mine has a 1tb hard drive) but without hassling with large unwieldy objects. Monitors are more expensive here, and few years less fancy, but you can still get a pretty decent sized one for under $200 US.

This may not be much help to you since Apple have a reputation for being difficult for unauthorised people to dismantle but many, many years ago I brought a Windows desktop over by the simple expedient of stripping it down to its parts and bringing the same as a pile of cards and cables in my hold luggage. I simply reassembled it and used it without the case. That's not to be confused with the story of someone I know who shipped a complete iMac in their hold luggage with a label which read "Fragile! Computer inside." Neither the computer nor the rest of the luggage were ever heard of again.

The smaller iMac will fit into carry on, if you remove the stand. That said, I agree with Ries that a good compromise to the worry of bringing a full sized PC is the Mac Mini and then purchase a monitor here.

I have brought a few full size towers and monitors without drama thru EZE.
No questions asked.
It wasn't new stuff which helps

I have brought a couple down over the years, along with a couple of decent sized flat screen computer monitors. No problems whatsoever at customs, but I do make sure to tape a piece of 1/8" thick plywood over the screen, so the dont get broken or scratched. Currently, I run a Mac Mini, which was much easier to carry in my checked luggage, with a flat screen monitor I bought at FraVega. Its a reasonably priced way to get a current Mac (mine has a 1tb hard drive) but without hassling with large unwieldy objects. Monitors are more expensive here, and few years less fancy, but you can still get a pretty decent sized one for under $200 US.
wonderful piece of advice will do the plywood or something similiar

Back