Bringing my personal electronics to Argentina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Markgeezer said:
You don't live here, so this issue has nothing to do with you. You can bring new unpackaged items as well.

Even as a tourist you can only bring new items that do not exceed a maximum of $300 USD duty free.

If your bags are examined, you can expect to pay 50% duty on "new unpackaged" items that are "valued" by the aduana that exceed the $300 limit.

You might be given the "opportunity" to pay less...:rolleyes:

Items which are "new in original packaging" are always subject to scrutiny...and a chance for someone to make a few extra bucks...either the gov above the table...or...;)

That's true. They are charging 50% tax on electronics and even tourists are allowed a limit of items valued at no more than $300 US. They're not stupid in the customs office in Ezeiza; they know how much electronics cost. I would declare everything before you enter then show the declaration form when you leave so that they know you haven't sold anything. Better safe than sorry.

Personal vs not personal doesnt entirely matter it's new vs not new that matters.

As a tourist they won't care although still expect you to fill out the forms. And if you arrive on a busy flight, they may well barely care about the Argentines to begin with nevermind tourists.

The 50% duty that could be charged to tourists is IF those items are new. Not just over $300 of general electronics.

Anyhow if you are really just bringing in your own stuff for your own use, don't worry about it. It's when you are bringing extra iphones or laptops for friends or god knows what that you would/should start to be a bit concerned.

I regularly travel with 2 laptops, multiple cellphones , etc and have no problems. They may ask you to turn on a laptop/phone/etc to verify it is yours and used.

I'm sure you know this already but it's not safe to walk around with electronics in BA. So plan on leaving your expensive phones inside your jacket, your laptop at home, etc.

we regularly go back and forth between new york and buenos aires with laptops, ipods, phones, tablets, cameras. not once have we been questioned by customs. not once did anybody collect the customs form. we have been coming and going both as tourists and with residence visas.

Huckstah said:
List of things I plan to bring with me:

IPad 2
iPhone (work)
Motorola Droid 3 (personal)
Canon t3i Camera
Sony Waterproof Digital Camera
Ebook tablet reader
Playstation 3
Playstation PSP Handheld
Sony Vaio 15in Laptop (work)
Dell inspiron 14in Laptop (personal/home)

I imagine some of the laughs you guys might have, but I warned you I am a gadget freak and Im quite sure I'll be using all of those things during my 2-3month stay. Do you think customs is going to freak out even though all of the items clearly look used and personal?
Bring it but you will only bring half of this stuff back to home.

Huckstah said:
List of things I plan to bring with me:

IPad 2
iPhone (work)
Motorola Droid 3 (personal)
Canon t3i Camera
Sony Waterproof Digital Camera
Ebook tablet reader
Playstation 3
Playstation PSP Handheld
Sony Vaio 15in Laptop (work)
Dell inspiron 14in Laptop (personal/home)

I imagine some of the laughs you guys might have, but I warned you I am a gadget freak and Im quite sure I'll be using all of those things during my 2-3month stay. Do you think customs is going to freak out even though all of the items clearly look used and personal?

With the exception of the iPad, I've more or less brought that same list into the country - welcome fellow geek! :) drop me a line when you arrive, can swap some PSP games

and for what it's worth don't stress about customs ... it might be helpful to play up the fact you're a tourist, dont' speak any spanish , just louder english if they chat

We go back and forth, Seattle- BsAs with tons of stuff, never looked at. Of course I can not understand one spoken word at the airport!
Nancy

I travel 5 times a year and have done so for 7 years and have never paid duty on anything. My electronics on my last trip included: 15 asus laptop, 7 inch netbook, 24inch Dell led monitor, waterproof camera, android htc desire phone, voip linksys hub, asus wireless router, bluray player, 3tb media player, Bose travel speakers, Bose iphone speakers and 20 new ps3 games. All electronics were used except for the games and the Bose iphone speakers.

I've been stopped many times but as everything is out of its box and used they font seem to care.

Customs scans everything with their machines, from checked luggage to carry on so perhaps I'm just lucky.

We got to BsAs two months ago with Ps3, Ipads, Ipods, phones, computers, basically all the things mentioned above and we had no issues. We put all electronics in one bag that we used as a carry-on. This is only our experience but we made it through customs very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back