Bringing my personal electronics to Argentina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went through customs two days ago with a couple of my personal electronics and a couple new. The new items (cell phone and tablet) I had taken out of all original packaging in the hopes that customs wouldn't charge me taxes on them. Sure enough, my bags didn't even get checked this time (other than the scan that everyone goes through). I did what someone else mentioned and tried to separate the electronics a bit - put a couple in each bag to make it less noticeable that I had various items.

It seems like most of the posters here generally have the same experience. However it is also the luck of the draw - I came into Argentina at least 10 times, and my bags have only been inspected twice.

Once I was actually asked to show the receipt on a laptop because I was entering with 2 (and I had them BOTH out of the original packaging and looked used, one was a 10 year old computer and the other was 3 weeks old, they of course asked for the receipt from the 3 week old one, which I happened to have and it was for $300 so I lucked out).

The second time the officer grabbed a tampon from my purse, took it out, and asked me "what is this?" Well needless to say I didn't get charged taxes there either, but man was that guy dumb :D

Anyone had problems in shipping personal/used items of electronics to Argentina? I'm starting a new job and my employers will pay for a few boxes to be sent over by a shipping company.

I was wondering whether it's worth shipping things like my hairdryer, cd player etc or buying things new when I arrive. It would all be used/personal belongings and I'll be on a work visa...

Keep what you can in your pockets. I mean any self respecting backpacker these days has in his pockets: An iphone, a back-up phone (or maybe an i-touch,) an mp3 player, sunglasses, and an PSP (for those long-haul flights, with noise reducing headphones.) and a separate bag for adaptors cables, back up cables and batteries. Should leave enough room for a pair of jandels, silk hammock, icebreaker clothing and some sunscreen

markgeezer said:
you don't live here, so this issue has nothing to do with you. You can bring new unpackaged items as well.

if you bring new boxed things you are subject to duty ..dont give misinformed advise please

I'll be coming from the USA. I really appreciate your guys help with this...I feel alot less worried after hearing experiences from recent travelers.

I was planning to put all my electronics in one bag, preferably carry-on. But if that's not possible, has anyone had had any problems with putting expensive electronics in luggage to go under the plane? I'm more or less referring to thievery by baggage handlers

Katharine...did customs ask you to turn on your computer to validate that it's used? I'm not very organized when it comes to saving receipts long term...

My personal laptop is only a month old, and obviously still looks brand new...I'm hoping there is some sort of validation option of just simply turning on the computer and proving it's used...such as personal pictures, mp3 files, etc

Huckstah said:
I'll be coming from the USA. I really appreciate your guys help with this...I feel alot less worried after hearing experiences from recent travelers.

I was planning to put all my electronics in one bag, preferably carry-on. But if that's not possible, has anyone had had any problems with putting expensive electronics in luggage to go under the plane? I'm more or less referring to thievery by baggage handlers

Electronics in the baggage hold? Now there's an idea.

You know, Huckstah, I'm struggling to decide whether you really are an innocent who has never travelled abroad and who has never had to look after themselves or, as your handle implies, someone who is just winding up this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back