Bringing two laptops to Buenos Aires

candoman

Registered
Hello!

I´m coming back to Buenos Aires in about two weeks after living there for 2 years and visiting home (California) for three months. I upgraded my old laptop about 2 months ago with a new HP and also have a new macbook pro on its way that I´m bringing back for an Argentine friend of mine.

I know there were previous threads, but I wanted to know if anyone can give me any advice/info/experience on bringing two laptops into Buenos Aires as my carry on?

I just found out about the reciprocity fee, but I don´t think I can afford paying hefty taxes for the laptops. Should I just say they´re both mine and personalize it in case? I have several entrance/exit stamps from Argentina so I don´t know if that will raise suspicion, but I´ve never done this before so I´m not quite sure.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks very much!

Hey there,

I don't know about the rules, but I brought in two mac laptops into Buenos Aires - one in carry on and one in checked luggage - last May and had no trouble. When everything went through at customs they asked me about it briefly but were satisfied when I said I needed them both for work and they were both mine. I think the fact that I didn't speak Spanish fluently helped because it honestly seemed like the guy couldn't be bothered to deal with me.
I think if they're not boxed up as new you should be fine, in any case if I had to do it again I'd probably just take my chances and deal with any fines if they come up at the airport.
Hope that helps, good luck!

Make sure both have signs of use - put some files on them and take them out of their packaging. Probably a good idea to say the HP is for work and the mac is for something else. There shouldn't be a problem with bringing your own used property in, but if they have reason to believe you are bringing in a brand new laptop to sell it you'll get hassled about it.

milo.b said:
Hey there,

I don't know about the rules, but I brought in two mac laptops into Buenos Aires - one in carry on and one in checked luggage - last May and had no trouble. When everything went through at customs they asked me about it briefly but were satisfied when I said I needed them both for work and they were both mine. I think the fact that I didn't speak Spanish fluently helped because it honestly seemed like the guy couldn't be bothered to deal with me.
I think if they're not boxed up as new you should be fine, in any case if I had to do it again I'd probably just take my chances and deal with any fines if they come up at the airport.
Hope that helps, good luck!

The exact thing happened to me. I said they are mine and for work. Of course, they were out of the box. The problem was that the customs guy, asked me if I declared my computers before I left Argentina. Since I said "I left with them and came back with them". I just answered that I had no idea I had to declare them before I left Argentina and I was not informed about it either by the any of the officials. No more questions asked and he let me go as if he didn't care.

I just brought two into the country in my carryon in November. No one asked me any questions, nor was I even given a customs form to fill out so I didn't have the chance to declare them. I just walked right in. However I had to change planes in Mexico City and they gave me some trouble about it (note- if you ever go there they only allow one) but after FINALLY getting across to them that I was not staying in the country they let me pass.

One of the computers was new (but both for personal use) so I did put some stickers on it to make it look a little used.

I've brought down multiple laptops twice and never had any problems. I brought down a 19" Dell LCD monitor in my luggage with two laptops one of those times. I have a backpack made for carrying laptops that was big enough to put both laptops in and they never ever stopped me and asked me questions.

Of course, the stuff I brought down really was mine (well, except for one case), although once when I brought both laptops here one was brand new, just not in the box.

Usually when I go back to the States, I leave with one suitcase and come back with two. The second one I fill with stuff that I can't get here. Some of the stuff has been electronics. I once brought back a Wii with two extra controllers and some games for one of my programmers as a bonus - of course, nothing in a box and the manuals all put into a big baggie to make it look like I was traveling that way.

I have never been stopped and questioned - could be I've been lucky, for sure.

But if you tell them both computers are yours, they are not in the boxes, I can't believe you'd have any problems with this.

Agreed - as long as they are out of the box, you should be fine.

However, its my experience that Customs is getting stricter, I have had to fill out the forms and had my luggage searched the last few times I've been in & out. I usually travel with at least 2 laptops plus blackberry, several cellphones, etc and they haven't asked me to pay but did want to know why I was carrying so much with me.

last time, I also had a very expensive camera lens that I brought back for a friend. I had left the bubble wrap around it although it was out of the box & they did give me a very hard time about that - where was the camera for it - was it new - how much was it worth, etc.

Thanks so much for the great advice and sharing your experiences. I'm going to take it out of the box for sure, put some pics on the desktop, put the box in my check in and fill it with clothes and just carry both laptops as carry on.

Still haven't decided yet if its better if I say I brought them both with me when I left Argentina and bringing them both back, or I got the Macbook as a Christmas present from my parents if asked. Or if I should speak fluent Castellano or try to play the Californian role.

Cheers again for your contributions!

Saludos,

Mike

I would definitely say you had them both with you when u left. Just say that your work is internet and computer related and you always your 2 computers.

Hi

All the information about "normal procedures" can be found here:
http://www.afip.gov.ar/turismo/equipaje.asp

Frente.jpg

Dorso.jpg

Back