Bringing Woodshop/construction Tools?

I am not being sarcastic- thats what I do for a living.
I generally forge several tons of stainless a year.

Here is a classic example.
Relatively small, low quality Dewalt table saw.

US price- $300. USD
https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B000HXT2N6

Mercado Libre price, Argentina, $16,000 AR pesos - $1000 USD
http://articulo.merc...1700w-dw745-_JM

Thanks gang! Ries- Thanks for your insight! I appreciate the advice.

I spoke with my wife's father who was an electrical engineer for many years and he told me I could probably get away with getting a 2000 - 3000w transformer with a thermomagnetic breaker to protect the transformer but I could only ever used one tool at a time. Therefore, I'd have to have to buy multiple transformers. I guess I have to see if it's cost-effective to buy the 110V + transformer(s) or opt for better quality 220V.

I definitely agree that powered hand tools are something I should get in 220V - makes no sense lugging a transformer around everywhere.

*** But what does customs say about bringing down such tools? *** There seems to large grey area as to what tools are permitted. We have asked several moving companies and have received completely mixed advice. The official law says more or less "that you can bring tools if they are of your trade or profession but can't be for the setting up of a workshop." .. wait... huh? what?

Ries I gather you pay import taxes for each new tool you bring?

Has anyone had trouble bringing such things like: table saws, band saws, planers, drill presses, etc... ??

Thanks again!! This site is the best resource ever.

Customs let you bring stuff for personal use and that are at least 6 months old of use. How you do prove this it is not of my knowledge. Also, the level of inspection you get highly depends on your custom dealer and on your custom officer.
We did everything by the book and they just opened two random boxes, gave a quick look, saw that the content matched the shipping list and that was it.

I do a lot of carpentry here (mostly table saw and router work) and there are a few other aspects that you are over looking and will eventually drive you mad. Ries made several good points, but Argentina is fairly metal-work friendly, but sadly lacking where woodwork is concerned.

First thing is is the type of wood available in Buenos Aires. Most woodwork is done with MDF, particle board, really really bad pine, or construction grade, brittle eucalyptus. Plywood is generally a bi-species pine/eucalyptus used to catch falling debris at construction sites. Even "buena cara" sheets are not equal to the poorest grade in the north. Supposedly 'Kiln dried' pine stock will warp in 2 minutes in the sun. You can find finer hard and semi-hard species, but these are very expensive as these are all either imported from Brazil or transported at a premium from other parts of the country. Do not expect variety in thicknesses or grain options. Lots of supposedly solid-wood is actually veneered. I've even heard rumours that some lumber sellers are stealing and milling railroad ties.

The other thing and probably most infuriating is the minor things like t-track and accessories are not available anywhere. Think about things that are easily available and cheap - they will be impossible to find or super expensive if you should be so lucky to locate them. Replacement parts or peripherals parts for machines are not generally sold even in a shop that sells the machine or brand. People here don't even know what a dado-set is or does.

Bring plenty of t-track, bushings, bolts, etc for any jigs you envision yourself needing to make. Bring a sharpening system for your bits and blades. Bring a reliable carpenters square, combination square, and/or speed square (in 14 years I have not found a square square here). Do yourself a favour and invest in loads of good 3/4" pipe clamp sets (and just buy the pipe here) - you know how it is - you can never have enough clamps. If you require specific tools like a spoke shave or rabbet plane - bring them because you will not find them here ( maybe as antiques).

The good news is that tung oil and linseed oil is available, even hide glue has been available... pricey but available.

The bench tools here are indeed overpriced and offen not worth it I myself am currently building a router table out of a plunge router that has lost it's ability to stay at a set depth, and am investigating a DIY table saw and making my current cheapo TS into a dedicated dado machine.
I bring my stuff in from Germany or Canada whenever I can (electronic and otherwise)

Customs let you bring stuff for personal use and that are at least 6 months old of use. How you do prove this it is not of my knowledge. Also, the level of inspection you get highly depends on your custom dealer and on your custom officer.
We did everything by the book and they just opened two random boxes, gave a quick look, saw that the content matched the shipping list and that was it.

Thanks so much! That gives me hope and a bit of confidence in what I can bring down. Really appreciate it.

tools for sale right here http://baexpats.org/classifieds/item/1749-small-generator-stereo-speaker-more/

I do a lot of carpentry here (mostly table saw and router work) and there are a few other aspects that you are over looking and will eventually drive you mad. Ries made several good points, but Argentina is fairly metal-work friendly, but sadly lacking where woodwork is concerned.

First thing is is the type of wood available in Buenos Aires. Most woodwork is done with MDF, particle board, really really bad pine, or construction grade, brittle eucalyptus. Plywood is generally a bi-species pine/eucalyptus used to catch falling debris at construction sites. Even "buena cara" sheets are not equal to the poorest grade in the north. Supposedly 'Kiln dried' pine stock will warp in 2 minutes in the sun. You can find finer hard and semi-hard species, but these are very expensive as these are all either imported from Brazil or transported at a premium from other parts of the country. Do not expect variety in thicknesses or grain options. Lots of supposedly solid-wood is actually veneered. I've even heard rumours that some lumber sellers are stealing and milling railroad ties.

The other thing and probably most infuriating is the minor things like t-track and accessories are not available anywhere. Think about things that are easily available and cheap - they will be impossible to find or super expensive if you should be so lucky to locate them. Replacement parts or peripherals parts for machines are not generally sold even in a shop that sells the machine or brand. People here don't even know what a dado-set is or does.

Bring plenty of t-track, bushings, bolts, etc for any jigs you envision yourself needing to make. Bring a sharpening system for your bits and blades. Bring a reliable carpenters square, combination square, and/or speed square (in 14 years I have not found a square square here). Do yourself a favour and invest in loads of good 3/4" pipe clamp sets (and just buy the pipe here) - you know how it is - you can never have enough clamps. If you require specific tools like a spoke shave or rabbet plane - bring them because you will not find them here ( maybe as antiques).

The good news is that tung oil and linseed oil is available, even hide glue has been available... pricey but available.

The bench tools here are indeed overpriced and offen not worth it I myself am currently building a router table out of a plunge router that has lost it's ability to stay at a set depth, and am investigating a DIY table saw and making my current cheapo TS into a dedicated dado machine.
I bring my stuff in from Germany or Canada whenever I can (electronic and otherwise)

Annnnnd.... POOF. There goes my hope. Lol.

Thank you for the insight though really. I have no idea what it's like - I did happen to find a hardwood supplier down there last visit but it indeed was super pricey compared to what I was accustomed to. I just thought I had found the pricier store in town... guess not. Ooof.

It's kind of crazy to me - to think of all the beautiful old antique furniture that's there. The level of crafstmanship is impressive on some of the pieces my wife has. The inlay? Forget about it. I always assumed it was made there, but now I'm thinking it was either imported back during WW2 or things have changed drastically since then.

Thanks for the heads up with what tools/jig building materials I should bring! I definitely have some older tools I could use for dedicated jigs like your router table idea and now, based on this thread, somewhat inclined to invest in some nicer tools that I know won't crap out on me anytime soon. Maybe at least a nicer table saw that I can build a bunch of sleds for... but that said, if I can't find any good lumber....

Another question: What if I were to glue up a bunch of lumber and make it look like some table tops? Maybe that's a workaround for the lumber import regulations? Hahah... haha... no... seriously?

Annnnnd.... POOF. There goes my hope. Lol.

Thank you for the insight though really. I have no idea what it's like - I did happen to find a hardwood supplier down there last visit but it indeed was super pricey compared to what I was accustomed to. I just thought I had found the pricier store in town... guess not. Ooof.

It's kind of crazy to me - to think of all the beautiful old antique furniture that's there. The level of crafstmanship is impressive on some of the pieces my wife has. The inlay? Forget about it. I always assumed it was made there, but now I'm thinking it was either imported back during WW2 or things have changed drastically since then.

Thanks for the heads up with what tools/jig building materials I should bring! I definitely have some older tools I could use for dedicated jigs like your router table idea and now, based on this thread, somewhat inclined to invest in some nicer tools that I know won't crap out on me anytime soon. Maybe at least a nicer table saw that I can build a bunch of sleds for... but that said, if I can't find any good lumber....

Another question: What if I were to glue up a bunch of lumber and make it look like some table tops? Maybe that's a workaround for the lumber import regulations? Hahah... haha... no... seriously?

Sorry to spoil the image, but the reality of the current economy and trend away from craftsmanship (at least where woodwork is involved) is fairly challenging. A lot of the existing older furniture are heirlooms that see minor repairs over time... most people just buy cheap crappy MDF furniture, or theres the country styles that have little design or craftsmanship but at least is made of quebracho or similar hardwood.
There ares still some craftsmen and fine(er) furniture but i don't find that it's so easy to find for non-industry folk. The FAIMA site has some resources. I've been searching for sources outside of BA and adjusted my designs to separate easier to find structural wood from finer trim to keep my costs lower. I'm always on the lookout for old palettes (they're usually made of hardwood) and sand the hell out of the pieces.

As per your question, if you have a thicknesser - i could see how you could glue up eucalyptus for a talble top... it's not terrible wood... it has a nice colour to it, but it needs to be worked a LOT, it slivers and is pretty brittle so you could trim with something nice and lay several layers of varnish.

Thanks gang! Ries- Thanks for your insight! I appreciate the advice.

I spoke with my wife's father who was an electrical engineer for many years and he told me I could probably get away with getting a 2000 - 3000w transformer with a thermomagnetic breaker to protect the transformer but I could only ever used one tool at a time. Therefore, I'd have to have to buy multiple transformers. I guess I have to see if it's cost-effective to buy the 110V + transformer(s) or opt for better quality 220V.

I definitely agree that powered hand tools are something I should get in 220V - makes no sense lugging a transformer around everywhere.

*** But what does customs say about bringing down such tools? *** There seems to large grey area as to what tools are permitted. We have asked several moving companies and have received completely mixed advice. The official law says more or less "that you can bring tools if they are of your trade or profession but can't be for the setting up of a workshop." .. wait... huh? what?

Ries I gather you pay import taxes for each new tool you bring?

Has anyone had trouble bringing such things like: table saws, band saws, planers, drill presses, etc... ??

Thanks again!! This site is the best resource ever.

If you buy new appliances buy 110/220 V otherwise you need a transformer or several , I brought a household of used appliances and all required transformers, hair dryers, toaster, blender , phones, printers, etc . You may need a dozen to use all aquip at the same time.. You can buy used transformers..!!

Some Household items require 2000 Watt such as electrical space heaters, toasters ,irons, laser printers, Others can do with 100 Watts

I know for sure that imports of auto spare parts and working tools and materials like plastic piping etc, require and import permit declaration . Check with a customs broker. Cars returning from Chile are not allowed to bring in these products.

So just to update - I went with the recommendations to purchase some better quality tools (table saw, planer, band saw). So thank you!

We spoke with the shipping company and they actually had their affiliates go down to the customs office and show pictures of what I want to bring and they informed me that it shouldn't be a problem.

Just to play it safe though, I'm going to bring a copy of our marriage certificate, tax forms, website/portfolio information and a even a link to some videos of my woodwork just to help prove that these are necessary for my profession.

Will update again once we touch down!

Thanks again!

Back