British Embassy skirmish today

Tons of loaded school buses on my street which is a block or two from the embassy yesterday.

YanquiGallego said:
Tons of loaded school buses on my street which is a block or two from the embassy yesterday.

would be interesting to take photos of people getting on and off these buses and compare their clothes with the rioters and the protesters later.

could be a bit dangerous though

I guess we should have seen such coming. I've seen so many "Fuera Ingleses de las Malvinas - Quebracho" spray painted on buildings all over around Recoleta, Barrio Norte and Microcenter. Those are just what I'd seen in my walking over the past week. I'm sure they're in other parts of the city also.

At first I thought maybe (just maybe) those buildings that were being targeted had english owners and were targeted for that reason. Many of the buildings graffitied were small shops and such, so I couldn't be sure of ownership. Then I saw the Farmacity at Sante Fe and Esmeralda had been spray painted. I don't think they're owned by English, but I could be wrong.

These ignorant idiots go around defacing nice-looking buildings to get their point across. It's obvious they have no pride in their city whatsoever. It seems so strange to me to use such ugly measures, in an attempt to get fellow countrymen riled up, that they deface their own public and private buildings to get said point across.

I've seen enough idiotic gang graffiti all over buildings of every sort in just about every part of the city to know that the idiots who create the grafitti don't give a rat's ass about pride in their city, or care about others who hold the property or lease it to do business or live their lives.

I think it's a very pointed statement about this government (following the assumption that Quebracho is either funded, controlled, or allowed to happen by the current government) and the message they put out related to what's important and what should be left for rational discussion.

They operate on the level of street gang thugs. And yes, of course, the Brownshirts of Hitler's time do come to mind as well...

HenryNisental said:
Quebracho are the equivalent of the SA during the early NAZI days, they were used as shock troops whenerver were needed, but eventually they grew too powerfull and were "cut to size" by Hitler and the SS.
I think this will happen here too, sooner or later. They are nothing but profesional demonstrators, the same ones over and over again, they do not work or study, and most likely are on the dole from this "progresist" goverment.

Oh noooooo, this is a VERY innacurate comparison. I really find terrible that the word nazi is used so loosely these days.
Quebracho are a bunch of thugs, they have been causing trouble since 1996. Back then a peronista was president (Menem) and so far it seems no one can really get a grip on them. And they have no support from the Argentine public.

No need for the British to play the victims here.

Amargo said:
Oh noooooo, this is a VERY innacurate comparison. I really find terrible that the word nazi is used so loosely these days.
Quebracho are a bunch of thugs, they have been causing trouble since 1996. Back then a peronista was president (Menem) and so far it seems no one can really get a grip on them. And they have no support from the Argentine public.

No need for the British to play the victims here.

http://www.peronismomilitante.com.ar/?p=4438

Well, no one in the government will admit that there is a connection, of course. That's not how these things work. Didn't work that way in Hitler's SA days either.

And whether or not Quebracho was used in 1996 and later, it also doesn't meant hat things don't change and the current government and Quebracho haven't found a reason and desire to work together.

I find it interesting in the link I posted above that the site for Peronist Militants has pretty much the exact wording that I've seen spray painted on buildings on their site, supposedly painted by Quebracho. They also have some of the same goals that Quebracho (according to Wikipedia anyway) seems to have.

And that site above absolutely LOVES Cristina. I can't believe SHE has nothing to do with that.

Seems silly to me to believe the government doesn't have SOME tie to these thugs, even if it's only to let them do what they will, being given the tacit approval of the government through lack of action, if not outright private communication stating so.

No matter what one believes about ownership of the Malvinas, I find it hard to believe that people would think it's unlikely or impossible that the government could be involved in such things as Quebracho and the things they do, that sensible people think the Malvinas is something the Argentina government really should be worrying about right now, and that the current government is not using the Malvinas as a overt manner of propoganda to try to unite the people behind them where their economic policies have completely failed to do so.

BTW - I'm not saying that Quebracho and Peronismo Militante are the same groups. I'm pointing out that there are many opportunities in this country for the governments to use grups like these for their own ends.

ElQueso said:
I guess we should have seen such coming. I've seen so many "Fuera Ingleses de las Malvinas - Quebracho" spray painted on buildings all over around Recoleta, Barrio Norte and Microcenter. Those are just what I'd seen in my walking over the past week. I'm sure they're in other parts of the city also.

At first I thought maybe (just maybe) those buildings that were being targeted had english owners and were targeted for that reason. Many of the buildings graffitied were small shops and such, so I couldn't be sure of ownership. Then I saw the Farmacity at Sante Fe and Esmeralda had been spray painted. I don't think they're owned by English, but I could be wrong.

These ignorant idiots go around defacing nice-looking buildings to get their point across. It's obvious they have no pride in their city whatsoever. It seems so strange to me to use such ugly measures, in an attempt to get fellow countrymen riled up, that they deface their own public and private buildings to get said point across.

I've seen enough idiotic gang graffiti all over buildings of every sort in just about every part of the city to know that the idiots who create the grafitti don't give a rat's ass about pride in their city, or care about others who hold the property or lease it to do business or live their lives.

I think it's a very pointed statement about this government (following the assumption that Quebracho is either funded, controlled, or allowed to happen by the current government) and the message they put out related to what's important and what should be left for rational discussion.

They operate on the level of street gang thugs. And yes, of course, the Brownshirts of Hitler's time do come to mind as well...

Farmacity is owned by a group of private Argentine investors.
http://www.farmacity.com.ar/Institucional/Default.aspx

ElQueso said:
and that the current government is not using the Malvinas as a overt manner of propoganda to try to unite the people behind them where their economic policies have completely failed to do so.

The same could be said of the British govt. The trick seems to work, even when the population is supposedly more educated.

Amargo said:
The same could be said of the British govt. The trick seems to work, even when the population is supposedly more educated.

Interesting take. So the British government is in disarray, has a MUCH larger percentage of poor than middle class and rich combined within its responsibility, a third world educational system and finds it needs to juggle the rage of those affected by such conditions and extremely high percentage of corruption and non-obeyance of governing laws by defending ITS PEOPLE who have lived in the Falklands for the last 179 years, before Argentina was even in Patagonia.

Yeah, good comparison. (I wish there was a good tongue-in-cheek smiley right now!)

BTW - I'm a Libertarian, who believes that all governments are inherently flawed and should be as absolutely small as possible, putting the responsibility on the PEOPLE to be well-educated and strong, the government being there to enforce all laws created (as few as possible) equally across all people no matter their social or economic standing. I'm not for a minute saying that not all governments in this world use propoganda to further their own aims, of course everyone of them DO.

But if you think that THIS government is in the right in bringing this up so strongly, again, over the last couple of years when things are obviously heading for a severe problem (again!) and that there's no way they could be involved in such groups as Quebracho - well, not much else we can say to each other about this topic, is there?

Oh yeah - and when was the last time you saw a group of British subjects outside the Argentine Embassy (wherever) throwing stones and molotov cocktails - even if it happened, I'd be willing to bet a month's salary that with such violence the government (in form of police officers) would have made NUMEROUS arrests.

Simply saying that the Malvinas are also used for propaganda in British domestic affairs. And it seems to work there as well. I was not comparing both countries or defending this Argentine govt. Of both countries could be said though, that they are a shadow of what they were in the past. Both clearly in decline.

Amargo,yes the Brit government does use the topic of their Faulklands for their own purpose, but honestly NOT to this extent.....Also keep in mind that the Brits have been there most recently for the past 150 or so years. Was the whole matter of any importance when it was 700 or so little islands(most the size of a patio)? NO, when the inhabitants developed it into a fishing port,,,,,AH! Now that they might have an oil industry? SHIT YES!!!!!!!! An example I can offer is about 3 years ago I found a chair in the street.....2 doors down from me, all beaten up, broken but a beautiful antique or reproduction....I carried it into my house and repaired it, refinished the frame,and reupholstered it in a beautiful silk fabric I brought from Miami....WOW, shoppe in an Telmo would die for this chair! A year later I had a little gathering of some friends and neighbours. One of my neighbours asked about the chair and I told her the story, that often I find things in the street(tossed picture frames etc.) and she told me that that was a chair of her Mother's and her husband threw it away and she wanted it back!!!!!!! OH YEAH! When it was a piece of shit you tossed it! Now that is is great it is yours after putting it in the street? Christopher Columbus discovered The Americas.......so I guess we are all Spanish!!!!!!

Back