British Embassy skirmish today

james p said:
Amargo,yes the Brit government does use the topic of their Faulklands for their own purpose, but honestly NOT to this extent.....Also keep in mind that the Brits have been there most recently for the past 150 or so years. Was the whole matter of any importance when it was 700 or so little islands(most the size of a patio)? NO, when the inhabitants developed it into a fishing port,,,,,AH! Now that they might have an oil industry? SHIT YES!!!!!!!! An example I can offer is about 3 years ago I found a chair in the street.....2 doors down from me, all beaten up, broken but a beautiful antique or reproduction....I carried it into my house and repaired it, refinished the frame,and reupholstered it in a beautiful silk fabric I brought from Miami....WOW, shoppe in an Telmo would die for this chair! A year later I had a little gathering of some friends and neighbours. One of my neighbours asked about the chair and I told her the story, that often I find things in the street(tossed picture frames etc.) and she told me that that was a chair of her Mother's and her husband threw it away and she wanted it back!!!!!!! OH YEAH! When it was a piece of shit you tossed it! Now that is is great it is yours after putting it in the street? Christopher Columbus discovered The Americas.......so I guess we are all Spanish!!!!!!

First, no need to get histérico. My post did not have anything to do with sovereignity discussions. Just take any of the British newspapers and you will see that the topic Malvinas is very wellcome by the British politicians (by the Argentines too).
Regarding your story, Argentina has always claimed sovereignity, not only after the supposed oil findings. The claim is as old as 1833.
No one really can prove to whom the islands belong, as I already wrote somehwere - and also as stated by a great article in the Guardian - it is a matter of interpretation. Now you have the people living on the islands who settled there AFTER the Argentina started to claim the islands. That is why I don't believe the argument 'the people from the islands should decide' has much force.
I really do not know what a solution could be, the truth is only that it is a shame there were 1000 casualties and that 30 years afterwards the subject is still discussed, used for propaganda and causes so much stupid passion.
And no, not only the Argentines are to blame. For any quarrell at least two parties are needed.

Finally..after an eternity in political terms..., her minders wheel her out to make a public statement to try to distance her gov from the quebracho thugs she hired...What a hypocrite. They finally got it that most of the Argentine public saw through their dirty tactics.

We're only just now starting to feel the full effects from the 'change of driver' (Nestor to Kretina).
This is what gives me hope, they are so so badly out of touch with reality that I think I see a light at the end of this dark tunnel...maybe there is an end to this K nightmare coming in a few months. I dearly hope so.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/ar...es-attacks-to-british-embassy-in-buenos-aires

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1462230-...ue-un-titiritero-maneja-las-cosas-desde-atras

scotttswan said:
pretty sure it was Nestor who walked out on the talks...:rolleyes:

This is exactly what I meant, when there is a quarrell is always the other side who is wrong. It is a shame our politicians are unable to find a compromise, this is the 21st century.

ElQueso said:
http://www.peronismomilitante.com.ar/?p=4438

Well, no one in the government will admit that there is a connection, of course. That's not how these things work. Didn't work that way in Hitler's SA days either.

And whether or not Quebracho was used in 1996 and later, it also doesn't meant hat things don't change and the current government and Quebracho haven't found a reason and desire to work together.

I find it interesting in the link I posted above that the site for Peronist Militants has pretty much the exact wording that I've seen spray painted on buildings on their site, supposedly painted by Quebracho. They also have some of the same goals that Quebracho (according to Wikipedia anyway) seems to have.

And that site above absolutely LOVES Cristina. I can't believe SHE has nothing to do with that.

Seems silly to me to believe the government doesn't have SOME tie to these thugs, even if it's only to let them do what they will, being given the tacit approval of the government through lack of action, if not outright private communication stating so.

No matter what one believes about ownership of the Malvinas, I find it hard to believe that people would think it's unlikely or impossible that the government could be involved in such things as Quebracho and the things they do, that sensible people think the Malvinas is something the Argentina government really should be worrying about right now, and that the current government is not using the Malvinas as a overt manner of propoganda to try to unite the people behind them where their economic policies have completely failed to do so.

BTW - I'm not saying that Quebracho and Peronismo Militante are the same groups. I'm pointing out that there are many opportunities in this country for the governments to use grups like these for their own ends.

Apparently you were too quick to blame the President (and I am no suporter of her!)

Do you think if it came to the UN forcing to give the islands back to the Argentines, they would also tell Argentina to give the land stolen by their European ancestors back to the original tribes (like the Mapuches)? It seems like the same thing. They say something about the people of the falklands having been artificially implanted there. And how about a large part of the population of Argentina???

Amargo said:
First, no need to get histérico.Just take any of the British newspapers and you will see that the topic Malvinas is very wellcome by the British politicians

I'm guessing you don't read the British press very regularly... Reading a summary of "las malvinas en la prensa ingles" doesn't really give you much of an idea how unimportant this issue is in the UK. I can't really stress enough how little people care. Its a non-issue for 99.99% of the population.

jp said:
I'm guessing you don't read the British press very regularly... Reading a summary on "what Britain things" in La Nacion doesn't really make you an expert on how important this issue is in the UK. I can't really stress enough how little people care. Its a non-issue for 99.99% of the population.
I'd say more like 90%. Most people don't give a damn. Of course Cristina only made the right wing in the UK more intransigent with her latest diatribe.

jp said:
I'm guessing you don't read the British press very regularly... Reading a summary of "las malvinas en la prensa ingles" doesn't really give you much of an idea how unimportant this issue is in the UK. I can't really stress enough how little people care. Its a non-issue for 99.99% of the population.

Oh yes? Go to the website of the Guardian today, there are some articles about Malvinas. There have been new articles on a daily basis for the last weeks.
The same for the BBC. They published today an article about the destroyer sent 'routinely' to the South Atlantic. I am sorry, I do read the newspapers.

Its the 30 year anniversary of the war. Its not exactly remarkable that there are a few stories about the Falklands at the moment. My point is that for the rest of the year - and for pretty much the last 30 years - its a non story that nobody is bothered about.

The Malvinas are hugely symbolic in Argentina. In the UK, they're a couple of rocks nobody cares about.

Back