Broccoli Soup Recipe?

B

Bianca

So while we were in Mendoza, I had THE BEST Broccoli Soup ever at Cavas Wine Lodge. I didn't ask for the recipe, but maybe I should have because I can't seem to find a good broccoli soup recipe online. I've noticed a few members here have some awesome recipes to share, so I figured I'd ask... Anyone have a recipe for this to share? I would be very grateful! :)

bianca, here is what I use:
I am one of those cooks who never measures anything so here is my best cream of broccoli recipe.
Wash broccoli flowerets and peel the stems with peeler, cut stem i diagonals - to cook faster. You must have a hand blender (to puree) for the boiled/steamed (add salt at this stage) broccoli. Use shallots instead of onions, and use oven roasted garlic (they puree better) instead of fresh to saute. Use equal parts of very good white wine (if you can't drink it - don't cook with it!) and soup stock (veggy or chicken) and puree til silken smooth while mixture is still over the heat. Take out some flowerettes of broccoli for when plating later. Add the heavy cream second to the last (if watching the calories use Casacreme), the butter is added last. Keep stirring when adding these 2 items. White freshly cracked peppers to taste.

Bianca, remember the better the broccoli the better the soup will come out. Avoid the ones with yellowing tips (flowerettes). And best of all, have a great bottle of white wine - to pair it off- and always best to have someone to share both soup and wine with ;-) .

Bianca, this is my favorite i've made it lots of times its so simple but the taste is awesome - I hope you enjoy it !

Gordon Ramsay made this soup in a competition against the owner/head chef of Clubway 41. Clubway 41 had a broccoli soup which consisted of 20 different ingredients, whereas Gordon Ramsay’s broccoli soup consisted of just 5! This soup really only contains 3 ingredients, should you choose to not count water and garnish as ingredients; “most importantly, this soup actually tastes of broccoli”!

Chef Ramsay has since expanded on this recipe to include goat cheese and walnuts.

There is a video at the end of the article if you would prefer to watch Gordon Ramsay prepare his Broccoli Soup.

Ingredients:

1 large or two medium broccoli clusters (as fresh as possible)
Salt (3 Tbsp.)
Ground Black Pepper (4-5 turns on the grind wheel)
Water
Olive Oil
if you want to make the fancy version in the video, you’ll also need two more ingredients:

Goat Cheese (2 slices per bowl)
Walnuts (about 5 per bowl)
Cooking Gordon Ramsay’s Broccoli Soup:

Bring water to a boil in a large stock pot. Add a large pinch of salt (1 – 1 1/2 Tbsp.). Add broccoli and boil rapidly.

You will want to slice your goat cheese at this point if you’re making the fancy version. Dip the knife into the boiling hot water before each slice for even smooth cuts. Cut two slices of goat cheese per bowl being served. After cutting, use the hot smooth side of your knife to smooth one side of the cheese slices for appearance.

Your broccoli is finished cooking when you can pierce it with little or no effort. Remove the stock pan from the stove burner. DO NOT POUR THE WATER OUT! Use a slotted spoon to add broccoli to a blender but be careful because it’s boiling hot! Pour enough of the water left over from cooking the broccoli to fill the blender half way. Add a pinch (or more) of salt. Use several pulses on your blender to break the broccoli up and then puree for several seconds.

If you are making the fancy version, add five walnuts to the bottom of a shallow bowl and then place pieces of goat cheese on top of them.

Pour soup into shallow bowl. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and serve at once! Delicious!

Please leave comments and let me know how this turns out for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvc8...C4AE8317&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=12

Back