Brou Banco Republica-Day Trip Colonia

ElCordobés

Registered
Anyone doing banking with Banco Republica in Colonia? My main branch is in Montevideo, but it's clearly easier to go to Colonia. I even called BROU to confirm no paros/feriados that day and the things I need to accomplish at the branch. I got their blessing. Hopefully it works.

The same day rate for Buquebus right now is ARS642 if you're on the midday and return at 20hs. It's perfect for UY's banking hours. of 1330hs to 18hs. I did in 12 cuotas sin interes...because I could. Ha!

If anyone has done...what should I expect at the branch? I was accustomed to long waits in MVD. Worse in Colonia? I don't believe that I'll need a cash machine (but maybe I will since they have to issue a new card for me). Otherwise just a bank rep and teller in the bank.

Thanks!

Always expect a line. More so because you will arrive after they open unless you go early. I had a 2 hour wait last time I did the trip at those times. Now I take the earlier morning boat and hang out awhile till it's time to line up outside the bank. Mondays and Fridays are the worst.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd love to take the early trip, but I have an appt that morning that I can't move. Fortunately, I should have time. I will bring my patience. :)

I remember when I had opened my account many years ago in Montevideo..even then there was a LONG line. I was standing endlessly!

Could not figure out whats that about considering its a small nation with a small population.

At the Colonia branch be ready to wait endlessly on line. You may be lucky or you may also miss your ferry back to BA. I tried waiting for customer service once hoping to return with the ferry on the same day and I had to give up.

To open up the account there was a huge line, did it a few months back. Maybe two hours

but going back there to withdraw money then its quicker, they have two different lines, for withdrawel its normal cashier, much quicker

remember to bring all the papers, like proof of salary, proof of residence etc..I guess you know the requisites

Thanks. I'm just getting some money from my existing account so that's encouraging. I would like to update some account features and get a replacement ATM card as well...if there's time. I bringing all of my original docs from when I opened the account in 2010, just in case.

Update: I was at the BROU on Friday. In an hour, I withdrew USD, changed both the IDs associated with the account (they still had our expired UY cedulas and it had to be updated regardless); even though my wife was not with me, I had her documents and they updated hers as well. I closed my Uruguayan peso account since it was losing money and I had only originally opened it when I thought I might return and kept it when the UY peso was strong.... They issued two new debit cards that I also activated at the cajero automatico...there was a line of about 7 people. I could have asked for more debit cards. They are free.

As I was walking to the bank a car with Argentines asked someone before me and them me where the Brou was as I briskly walked there to beat the rush. I only had to wait about six numbers before I was called. I exclusively saw Argentine passports and DNI presented at the counter while I was there. :)

How one might use this account. From Ria, you can transfer up to USD3000 to banks in UY for USD5. You could do that over the course of a month...six weeks. And then make a trip over...my ticket was about USD40 round trip. You can then withdraw it while staying under USD10k. (I saw some rather large withdrawals at the counter exceeding this number).

I was actually so fast...I ended up buying a ticket with Colonia Express to return since my return on Buquebus wasn't until 20hs and since it was a promo could not be changed...as I had already known. I didn't want to wait 5 hours. To buy a new ticket with Buquebus was 2.5 x the rate of Colonia Express.

All-in-all. Very successful.

I asked a few questions (and received a printout geared toward Argentines) for those who might be interested:
  • To maintain the account with no fee. You must maintain USD1000 in the account.
  • You must present two IDs. DNI or Passport and the second can be driver's license, or another country's passport if you have two.
  • Comprobante de domicilio: A service will do. luz, teléfono, agua, gas. Even a credit card account statement from the prior month.
  • I asked about monotributistas, particular. They said you would need proof of income (certificación de ingresos promedio mensual) in the form of a Apostilled Accountant's Certificate. (Uruguay's participation in the Hague Convention went into force in 14 October 2012). Also all of the AFIP inscription info that you would usually present at any Argentine bank.
  • If you're an employee...then comprobante de ingresos would do. Your last payment stub (sueldo), proof of retirement income in the previous month.
  • The account can be opened in as little as two hours. Note: The wait appeared to be long to open new account, but it can be as little as two hours.
  • Bring originals and copies of all.
That's it. I'm not sure how they would treat a tourist in Argentina for opening an account. You would not be able to get a accountant's certificate in Argentina. But I suspect you could get a certificate from the US and have that translated and Apostilled. Perhaps, someone here with recent info can provide more info.

Back