Brutally Beaten in Recoleta

Matt, sorry dude, I know it sucks. I have never personally been the victim of a crime like this. But my brother-in-law has been robbed at knife-point twice and at gunpoint once. My sister-in-law was robbed twice. A cousin of my wife's was raped by a taxi driver one night. Many of my friend's have been robbed by groups of thugs threatening a beating.

I don't know how I've been so lucky personally, but I'm now knocking on every piece of wood I can find.

An acquaintance of mine is a Welsh cop here in Buenos Aires (the only foreigner who is a cop in the Buenos Aires according to him). He has some pitiful stories to tell about the police here. He's a crime scene investigator and has seen it all.

A friend of mine is a retired cop from Ft Lauderdale, Florida. It's not a big town, about 200K population - admittedly that swells 3-4 times that size during Spring Break. He was telling me that Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) has fewer cops patrolling the street than Ft Lauderdale. Imagine that.

Another close friend of mine lives a few blocks away from where Matt was attacked. On Uriburu at Las Heras, right across from the mall that's being renovated. Since they started the renovation, they have closed down most of that block on Uiburu and Junin (the other side), turned the lights off at night, put up barricades in front of the face of the building. There are a few cubbyholes where apparently homeless adolescents and young adults are hanging out, drinking beer, and generally being a nuisance. They have turned into estacioneros - every time I want to go park in front of my friend's apartment building now I am accosted by these guys. I asked the security guards that still patrol around the outside of the mall to keep an eye on these kids and I was told they couldn't do anything - they are outside the mall and they are only hired to protect inside.

There used to be a lot of cops in that area too, but since the mall has shut down, they have pretty much gone to other corners.

I know a couple, friends of mine also, who just moved into the area right there next to the British Embassy. My wife and I went to dinner at their apatment just a week ago. Such a peaceful, idyllic area right in the midst of a pretty noisy area. Scary to think how sinister even that area can be.

The government of Argentina needs to think more about its actual population and the safety thereof and less about how to line their pockets with money. With no discouragement whatsoever, when the kids know that there are no cops and even those that are there aren't enough to keep the streets safe, they will walk with impunity.

How terrible! The last time I was in Recoleta (two years ago) I noticed the number of iron guards on windows -- even windows on the fourth floor. We rented an apartment with a balcony (down the street from the Hermes shop), with an iron guard fence all around it. The super told us that kids were dropping down from roofs and breaking the sliders to rob the apartments.

Regarding the person who took offense at the "brown" description, that political correctness has got to go. That sort of thinking got the "Christmas Day Airline Bomber" on the flight from Amsterdam, but I'm sure that several old ladies were frisked.

Matt....I am so sorry....I live in the Centro....always avoid going out late at night and am always with someone else.....As we do....it might be advisable to now take a cab door to door.....It is sad that in such a beautiful city....one has to have this happen....but as others have said....being vigilent and aware in any large city is hallmark
Hope your wounds heal quickly
saludos
Michael

Like everyone esle here, I am sorry this happened, but if you were crossing Pueyerredon towards the British Embassy you were already out of the official boundry of Recoleta, but that is a very minor point.

The area of Recoleta at the northwest corner of the cemetery is full of "love hotels" and sex clubs. The back wall of the Cemetery Recoleta, (Azcuenaga from V. Lopez to Liberatdor... just one block from Pueyerredon), is a public urinal at night (and smells like one all of the time).

The area around the British Embassy (La Isla) is fine during the day but is deserted at night...except for the parasites preying on the tourists who had no idea how dangerous it is to stay or even walk there.

I was in a bar near the obelesco in October and the staff there tried to roll me for my money.
3 girls pushed me against the bar while the bouncer stood behind them.
After 10 mins of trying to talk my way out , the bouncer started to push me so i went ballistic on his ass.
Grabbed him by the collar and started pounding his face, then he ran and got a barstool while I was throwing those bitches off me.
He came at me with the barstool which I threw to the side and then kept fighting with him.
Last thing I remember was me climbing up the stairs, the bouncer falling down by my leg and I had 1 girl by the hair on the back of her head. I ran up the stairs and took off. Didn't even get a scratch!
Some of those underground bars are very shady around there.
I prefer to live in Monte video.

I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I agree that it is a lesson to always take a radio taxi home at night, and give them a good tip and ask them to wait for one second to make sure you get in ok.

No way! I've been here 6 weeks now and that's the first I've heard of any violence towards a foreigner/mugging etc. I quite regularly walk around my area late at night (Palermo) either on the hunt for a late night beer/smokes/munch or (in exactly the same way as you) on my way home from a night out. I've never felt unsafe at all, despite seeing numerous groups of kids about. I don't really look (emphasis on look) like an easy target to be fair, but should I be more careful here people?

To the poster above - there is an easy answer. Yes, you need to be more careful.

I have (knock on wood), not been a victim of a crime here but I take *a lot* of precautions. And as I've stated before, I only know a handful of people here who haven't been a victim of a mugging, hold-up, robbery, etc. Expats, tourists and locals included.

I live on Libertador, across from Kansas. Nice area, security in every building, etc. A friend of mine was stabbed for his watch across the street from my apartment a year ago. Another friend had her car stolen in front of my apartment. I saw a guy get bashed over the head with a wooden board in Las Canitas by a street kid.

Back