BsAs, only 102nd most expensive city in the world...

A measure of cost of living relative to other places doesn't really say a whole lot. What really matters is the relationship between price levels and prevalent local wages. So does inflation: wages lag behind (sometimes far behind) price increases, and so when price levels rise but people get paid the same, they get the shaft.

Both of those matter much more than "how far will the absolute amount US$X go in BsAs vs. Dubai or Tokyo or NYC?"

It's not even all that useful a measure for expats that continue to earn income abroad in foreign currencies. On the ground, you still have to spend pesos, and that means you will need more of them, as long as exchange rates trail inflation.

Thanks, AlexanderB. I've been saying the same thing for several years to Argentine friends here, but the relationship between price levels and local wages in Gran BsAs seems to continue to elude them. As a permanent resident expat, I live on a somewhat restricted budget, and what I spend these days on food alone is simply staggering, especially when I think of what the average local citizen earns per month. Is it any wonder then that this great metropolis is becoming more crime-ridden with every passing day?

Some prices here are low:
urban transport
medical suplies
some cinemas (like Gaumont)

But somethings are astonishing expensive:
food (specially regarding that Argentina produces lots of food)
clothes (more than twice the price I pay in Europe)
electronic devices
books
short term rents (the most disgusting and annoying, specially 'cause of the crap service done by owners)

I'd take that ranking with a grain of salt considering the well-known Big Mac index

Well, I'm in Paris right now, and was just in Madrid. In these two European capitals, supermarket prices (for an equivalent product of equivalent size) are either on par or (usually) less than in BA. 500 grams of Italian pasta in Paris is actually cheaper than 500 grams of Lucchetti in Disco. Bread, cheese, produce, chocolate, jam, coffee, wine, canned goods, toiletries -- all cheaper. Even the freaking Havanna alfajores and San Ignacio dulce de leche imported from Argentina cost less in Madrid than in BA. I'm paying less for my furnished, short-term rentals here as well. So other than the bus and subway, WHAT exactly is driving these rankings?

AlexanderB said:
It's not even all that useful a measure for expats that continue to earn income abroad in foreign currencies. On the ground, you still have to spend pesos, and that means you will need more of them, as long as exchange rates trail inflation.

Hi Alex,
Not sure if I completely agree with this. I earn euros at the moment, and I'm not constrained by geographic location, as long as there is a decent internet connection.

Lets say I earn 10 euros a month. 10 euros worth of pesos buys me a LOT more in BAires, than 10 euros worth of swiss francs will in zurich, or 10 euros worth of aussie dollars in sydney, or 10 euros in paris or 10 euros worth of pounds in london.

what I pay for my apartment / month here, I would pay per WEEK in london (easily).

however, I do agree that local wage v prices here is crazy, but I think that is a different argument..

Hi Alittlec,
don't forget one important thing: the quality of products, goods and services in BsArs are way far from a 1st world city like London, Amsterdam or even Barcelona. So even if you buy more for ten euros in BsArs you buy then of less quality so it should be at least less expensive.
And I agree with Starlucia: when I'm in Amsterdam or Barcelona I buy food much more cheaper (and in Barcelona the quality is much better than in BsArs) than here, and don't mention clothes and other stuff with REALLY discounts, not as here.

Grocery store food is cheaper in the States and in most of Europe. Dining out depends.

Upscale fine dining is still relatively a bargain in BA compared to going to nice restaurants in the States/Europe. Middle of the road dining is more or less the same.

Basic stuff in BA like a coffee at a standard coffee joint is outrageously priced for the nursing home-style cafeteria ambience that you are getting.

Clothes are hands down cheaper in both the States (gotta love that TJ Maxx) and in Europe.

Short-term rentals in BA are actually cheaper (if you get your deposit back) but less convenient than the month to month pay as you go rentals that are popping up all over the US and European capitals.

The problem with guestimating the cost of living in BA is that the numbers are not accurate for too long, as the inflation is happening at such a rapid pace, it´s hard to keep track.

Back