BsAs to Peru by bus -- Good idea?

We went to La Paz, Bolivia THERE and BACK for Christmas 2009. This was suppsoedly a 2.5 day trip that turned into three. (Your three day trip could become 4, OJO!)

I, too, am a female with good Spanish, but my boyfriend was with me. I think the buses are pretty safe if you take just as many precautions as you would on a colectivo. I would be more worried once you GET to Lima, as I spent some time there and don't think it's a very safe city. On the bus, don't go flashing any valuables, not even an fancy looking booklight - better yet don't bring any except for an iPod. Carry your money and documents inside your clothes. But by all means, chat with people, make friends-SAFELY, because they will be your allies - or not - for the rest of the trip. People are really nice, but be prepared as others mentioned for late buses and hassles at the border coming back (taking out all your packed luggage and showing it to no less than 3 aduanas stops in Argentina.) My boyfriend has gone back and forth between La Paz and Buenos Aires at least 11 times over the years to visit family and INSISTS on locking suitcases because he says checked luggage has a tendency to get picked through every once in a while, though he has never personally lost anything.

I heard a horror story from fellow Belgium travelers who were robbed of all their valuables by kids who climbed underneath the seats and picked out every camera and cell and iPod out of their backpacks under the seat.

To be 100% frank and a little TMI, but I think this is something that every Westerner should consider when thinking about taking a long bus trip...the worst part is that in a lot of the buses you can't go #2 ON the bus. They make constant announcement reminding you the bathroom for the remainder of the trip will be closed if you do so. So YOU try going in a little disgusting hole of a bathroom covered in urine in a 10 minute or 15 minute moment you are given for getting off on a break-which you have no say in choosing when it will be with a line of about 20 women waiting for you to get through. (We regularly stopped at places with one or two bathrooms.) The worst was the potty stop with NO bathrooms in Bolivia, not even trees or shrubs for coverage. People literally just walked a little bit up the road and did their business.

This is the most uncomfortable aspect of the trip I would have to say, horrible stomach cramps from not being able to use the restroom. (Bring pain killers and Immodium and such drugs for all contingencies; I NEVER take pills but this is the time you will want them.) Plus, the leg cramps which threaten to turn into a deadly blood clot-just be sure and stretch regularly. Plus, the bitchin' headache if you travel through high altitude Andes area. PLUS, you MUST bring headphones and MUSIC because all Argentine buses and others INSIST watching crappy American movies is all anyone might want to do on a trip. One or two is ok, but after the 5th movie, you want to scream. For some tranquility and getting the reading done YOU want to do, you need some white noise - earplugs alone won't cut the loud drone of the bad movies.

I make it sound awful. I don't have fond memories, but it's not that bad. Just don't go into it expecting it to be any high-class travel experience and expect the uncomfortable physical limitations and prepare for them, and you will be fine!

Also, consider the route. I have never gone THROUGH Bolivia on a bus trip, but they may or may not require you to pay the 135 dollar visa. If you go through Chile by bus, you don't have to worry about paying the entry fee for US citizens, it's only for those who enter by land.

Back