Buenas...

PfQ

Registered
Hi there. My name is Pablo, and I am not, technically speaking, an expat. I was born in Buenos Aires, I speak fluent Spanish Porteño, and my mother's as Argentinian as dulce de leche and empanadas. However, I've been living outside of the country for the past 20 years or so, speaking, more than anything, English. I'm a writer and a translator, and I've recently moved back to Buenos Aires for a short stint of three to six months.

So, while native, I've yet to make a home out of my 'home country', and am facing many of the same experiences that any foreigner will have in wrestling with our fair city. I'm still getting to know it well, still learning the ins and outs of living here, and I'm still making friends. I was hoping that making a post here might help me a little bit with that. I'm also sorely missing a writers' group in the city - an English one, that is - and would greatly appreciate any directions to finding one.

Welcome back home, and welcome to the forum! Your mom must be very happy to get some extended quality time. I can't point you to any writers groups offhand, but if you decide to blog about your adventure here, I hope you share the link with us. Many here would enjoy a colorful picture of the BA experience from an outsider (insider-out) point of view. Enjoy your stay!

Welcome! I know an ex pat American author who may be able to connect you with a writers group. Contact Cherie Magnus via Facebook and mention I suggested that she could possibly refer you to a writers network here! Good luck!

Welcome.

You might want to check your sources when you say empanadas are argentinian....

Sofia...some advice which will serve you well in future. Please quickly take down your contact details and ask people to contact using the private message system.

Putting your email address and phone number on the internet is a very bad idea for a number of reasons. Look after your safety. Take this down asap.

Welcome.

You might want to check your sources when you say empanadas are argentinian....

Don't misconstrue my meaning. Empanadas are traditionally Spanish (at least under that name) and as such are a 'foreign' food that has over the years assumed a strong national identity here in Argentina. Likewise, my mother is of immigrant heritage but strongly identifies as an Argentinian

http://secondstorybuenosaires.com meets once a month. A bit more on the storytelling side, but I'm sure it will help you get your feet wet here. Suerte!

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.

Welcome! I know an ex pat American author who may be able to connect you with a writers group. Contact Cherie Magnus via Facebook and mention I suggested that she could possibly refer you to a writers network here! Good luck!

I appreciate the help, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about imposing on a stranger's facebook like that. However, if I do somehow get over my strange internet etiquette, who should I say referred me? Lacoqueta?

Back