Teaching in 2024. I am currently in Buenas Aires and interested to move here in February 2024, from Queensland, Australia. Advice?

Elhug

Registered
Teaching in 2024.
I am currently in Buenas Aires and planning to move here in February 2024, from Queensland, Australia - to immerse myself in my passion for Tango! I have lived in several countries and would appreciated helpful advice on teaching work (can do kindergarten & Primary & English), also possibilities of renting an apartment and basically any subjects I could be experiencing /negotiating / responding to whilst living in Buenas Aires. Much Appreciated.

Hey, welcome! Not to burst your bubble but a couple things:

- Rent is all basically in dollars now, La Nación was reporting in a city of over 3 Million people, there are now less than 450 apartments even listed for rent, and they're all insane, like $700 USD for a bachelor I keep seeing
- You likely won't be able to afford rent working as an English teacher, the pay is terrible, please search the forums as this is a recurring topic, and the situation has gotten worse, not better
- The macro economy is a mess. There will likely be several drastic changes in December when the new president takes power, and "plan llegar" ends
- If we enter hyperinflation (not impossible, INDEC will likely report ~12% monthly inflation today) discretionary spending is the first to take the hit, and if we dollarize, there will be a period of adjustment, so probably not the best timing

All this being said, if you have savings, and can stay here engaging in your passion for tango without having to work to survive, you can still likely make a go of things, just keep in mind that long term rental prices are a hot mess right now.

Hope this helps!

Teaching is not a profession that travels well, at least not at pre-university level. To teach at KG or primary levels you need to revalidate your degree, which is a years-long process, practically equivalent to doing your degree all over again. Teaching English might be possible, but only if you hold a recognised qualification.

Teaching in 2024.
I am currently in Buenas Aires and planning to move here in February 2024, from Queensland, Australia - to immerse myself in my passion for Tango! I have lived in several countries and would appreciated helpful advice on teaching work (can do kindergarten & Primary & English), also possibilities of renting an apartment and basically any subjects I could be experiencing /negotiating / responding to whilst living in Buenas Aires. Much Appreciated.
I am VERY experienced teaching in Latin America....including Buenos Aires. Realistically.....forget about teaching if you need income. It COULD happen.....but it won't

I am VERY experienced teaching in Latin America....including Buenos Aires. Realistically.....forget about teaching if you need income. It COULD happen.....but it won't
As a certified EFL instructor, (not the same as a real teacher, acknowledged), with 8 years experience here in Argentina, I would say you should listen to CC. Do not move here right now.

In the instructional graphic below, Nahuelito represents Argentina. The fisherman in the foreground has income in dollars. The fisherman in the background does not, and Argentina is eating him alive.

nahuelito.jpg

On a 2021 tread, https://baexpats.org/threads/remote-jobs-companies-need-asap.43631/
BAHibs commented: Although the market to teach English is completely saturated with teachers, I'm getting all the hours I need on a website called Engoo.com. It involves very simple conversation lessons with Japanese students, the pay of 10 USD an hour would usually be laughed at in the teaching English world, but working enough hours earning USD in combination with Western Union's CCL conversion rate, and I'm living pretty well in Argentina. I'm certified to teach English, but the site doesn't require it.

So, yes, you could definitely do a few classes a day and make some money to help support yourself. In addition, there are studio apartments for rent in the $300 to $400 a month range if you don't have to be in the best neighborhood and have a light unit with a balcony. Translation: a dark unit with a window view of a wall, not close to public transportation. The problem is most landlords want a 3 year contract with proof of local employment and some sort of collateral. So you may be only able to find temporary housing.

If you have enough money saved to live here for a while, don't believe the naysayers, go for it! You probably won't be able to become a legal resident, so you might have to be content to live here for three to six months and go somewhere else for six months each year.

Hey, welcome! Not to burst your bubble but a couple things:

- Rent is all basically in dollars now, La Nación was reporting in a city of over 3 Million people, there are now less than 450 apartments even listed for rent, and they're all insane, like $700 USD for a bachelor I keep seeing
- You likely won't be able to afford rent working as an English teacher, the pay is terrible, please search the forums as this is a recurring topic, and the situation has gotten worse, not better
- The macro economy is a mess. There will likely be several drastic changes in December when the new president takes power, and "plan llegar" ends
- If we enter hyperinflation (not impossible, INDEC will likely report ~12% monthly inflation today) discretionary spending is the first to take the hit, and if we dollarize, there will be a period of adjustment, so probably not the best timing

All this being said, if you have savings, and can stay here engaging in your passion for tango without having to work to survive, you can still likely make a go of things, just keep in mind that long term rental prices are a hot mess right now.

Hope this helps!
Yes & No … thank you for your response. I appreciate your sharing and have a sense of the situation declining depending on elections and economy in general. But What about my tango??? Muchas Gracias

On a 2021 tread, https://baexpats.org/threads/remote-jobs-companies-need-asap.43631/
BAHibs commented: Although the market to teach English is completely saturated with teachers, I'm getting all the hours I need on a website called Engoo.com. It involves very simple conversation lessons with Japanese students, the pay of 10 USD an hour would usually be laughed at in the teaching English world, but working enough hours earning USD in combination with Western Union's CCL conversion rate, and I'm living pretty well in Argentina. I'm certified to teach English, but the site doesn't require it.

So, yes, you could definitely do a few classes a day and make some money to help support yourself. In addition, there are studio apartments for rent in the $300 to $400 a month range if you don't have to be in the best neighborhood and have a light unit with a balcony. Translation: a dark unit with a window view of a wall, not close to public transportation. The problem is most landlords want a 3 year contract with proof of local employment and some sort of collateral. So you may be only able to find temporary housing.

If you have enough money saved to live here for a while, don't believe the naysayers, go for it! You probably won't be able to become a legal resident, so you might have to be content to live here for three to six months and go somewhere else for six months each year.
Thanks for your detailed response. Lots of reality checks I was choosing to ignore so appreciated.

Thanks for your response…a little hope returned. I am going in with eyes wide open - thanks to you and others ‘thoughtful’ comments. What to do with the facts is my dilemma when I want to follow my heart.

As a certified EFL instructor, (not the same as a real teacher, acknowledged), with 8 years experience here in Argentina, I would say you should listen to CC. Do not move here right now.

In the instructional graphic below, Nahuelito represents Argentina. The fisherman in the foreground has income in dollars. The fisherman in the background does not, and Argentina is eating him alive.

View attachment 9038
Well CC what can say, except😔. But hey Thanks for your response.

Back