Buenos aires drinking water

sinagua980 said:
We kept track of exact expenses one week and realized about 20-25% of our grocery budget goes to bottled water! Don't really know another way. We do have a counter-top Brita but don't use it because tap water still tastes nasty afterward.

Also, my landlord made sure we weren't using hot tap water for ANYTHING food related. She says no one uses hot water for cooking or tea because the hot water pipes are usually dirtier from the hot water tanks. That is definitely true in our apartment.

The water quality is excellent in BA. But the water is super soft and that´s why it is tasteless while mineral water is hard and the taste is better.

Nitrates are very low (2,5 last time I tested it) while in Europe in general are around 40 ppm. Until 45 ppm it can be drunk. Over 40 ppms it is dangerous for babies.
No phosphates.
No other industry chemical polution.
Low Ca
Low Mg
Lo Na

But yes, it has chlorine, specially in summer time. But if you just leave the water some time it evaporates. They do not use chloramines that doesn t evaporates.

However, depending on where you live, the water is different. I talk about Capital Federal.

You cannot use hot water for cooking because old buildings have lead pipes. Hot water releases the lead and you know that it is very toxic.

The key is to check the water deposit, if it is clean, then it is ok.

Regards

I drank tap water for two years here until the administration in my building "cleaned" the tank and the water smelled strongly of soap and chlorine, and tasted even worse. I couldn't bring myself to wait it out to see if the smell went away after awhile. I got one of those Phillips filters in Jumbo that attaches to the faucet and could not be happier! There is a remarkable difference.

I'm due to change the filter and am afraid there won't be any available due to import laws.

Hop said:
I drank tap water for two years here until the administration in my building "cleaned" the tank and the water smelled strongly of soap and chlorine, and tasted even worse. I couldn't bring myself to wait it out to see if the smell went away after awhile. I got one of those Phillips filters in Jumbo that attaches to the faucet and could not be happier! There is a remarkable difference.

I'm due to change the filter and am afraid there won't be any available due to import laws.

Phillips follows the government rules about imports and they are allowed to import without restrictions.
Regards

Reactions: Hop
cuore said:
you boil bottled water?? seriously??
Yes.
A 20th century invention known as the kettle.
Well, you know how fussy we Brits are about our tea.
If a cuppa in the morning isn't absolutely spot on, it could spell the end.

thanks for the advice. seems the phillips filter is the way to go. Last year I kept my tap water in the fridge before drinking it and it was more tolerable, but at room temperature not so great.

apparently i may have to take a trip to barrio chino for coconut water!

I have not seen brita filters or anything similar in BA, would also like to know if anyone has found something similar. You can buy filters that attach to the tap, but they are really expensive.

Matt
ExposeBA

scottgro said:
I know that it's potable, I just forgot that it does not taste great.

Where can I find a Brita filter?

Also, has anyone seen Coconut Water in BA? I drink it before my Bikram yoga classes, and would love to find it here.

Thanks!
-
s

Can you recommend the studio you go to?

Are the bikram yoga classes crowded?

I remember how terrible they were packed way to tight back home.

The water may or may not taste good depending on what you are used to. However those water tanks that sit on top of our houses are truly a disgusting idea. And the water pressure in AR is a joke, at best. [ever try to wash your car?]

Back