Buenos Aires growing obesity problem

when i was there in Argentina, i gain weight of 20 lbs. my current weight is 174 lbs., I'd tried to lose some weight but nothing change. My dietitian told me to take a pyruvate supplement and offer me a calcium pyruvate.

Argentines are always surprised and look at me in disbelief when I tell them it is easier to eat healthy in the U.S.--that healthy food is available everywhere (unlike here). Here, you have to know you dietetica, buy bread at Hausbrot or make your own, make some trips to the barrio chino or Jumbo, and just like the U.S., read your labels on "healthy" items. JMAF, or high fructose corn syrup is increasingly showing up in more foods--whether you think it is harmful or not, at the end of the day it's just pure sugar.

I find it hard to believe Argentina has as many obese people as the US....I remember my last flight back to the US going through Houston and my biggest reaction immediately getting off the plane was and getting stuck walking behind a family of 5-all over 250lbs.....was 'Holy shit, everyone here is huge'. An observation that when living in the US didn't seem that noticeable.

Was just reading some stats on US obesity...
In Mississippi per capita drink 746 liters of soda pop per year.. thats 2 liters a day!!!
Eat almost 100$ of fast food per month per capita
...and 13% have diabetes
The ten states to follow behind Mississippi do not fare much better

I remember my last flight back to the US going through Houston and my biggest reaction immediately getting off the plane was and getting stuck walking behind a family of 5-all over 250lbs

Well, Houston is THE fattest city in the nation... more fast food than I've ever seen in my life, and they even have a McDonalds in a church. You gain 10 lbs. just driving through that hole.

I'm from the U.S. 56 years old. I've always struggled with weight. I several weeks at a time in BA over the past 5 years and always found that weight just melted off while I was here. Since I spent about 6 weeks here in November of 2009 and lost about 15 pounds. Gained about 7 to 10 back when I returned to the U.S. Then came back to BA in March of 2010 and lost 35 lbs in 3 1/2 months. Had to head back to the U.S. to handle some business and gained 10 lbs back during the 6 month stay in the U.S.
I'm now back here and my ability to lose and/or maintain weight is one of the primary reasons I now live here. (It used to be that the low cost of living was also right at the top of the list but that is fading fast.)
I attribute my weight loss in BA to:
1. Slightly different daily schedule. Because of the 3 hour time difference between Dallas time I am never tempted to eat breakfast here (and wouldn't know where to do it if I was tempted, other than McDonalds). Let's face it, 2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast (or bisquits and gravy), bacon or sausage, and glass of sweet orange juice is not exactly a low-carb meal.
2. I think I walk more here than I actually realized. I took a walk (from Las Heras and Junin in Recoleta) to buy a transformer at Corrietes and Parana (about 12 blocks). Walking there and back was about 1 hour of walking. I went to the gym every day in the U.S. doing 45 minutes of aerobics. But I would never walk an hour in the U.S. living in the suburbs. Longest walk most Americans take is to their garage from their kitchen.
3. I eat smaller portions here. Chili's etc really provide us about twice the amount of food we need in a meal, now don't they?
4. Keeping carbs down is easy here. You can buy a decent steak and sweet potato (low GI) for $10 which is hard to do in the U.S. Perfect for a carnivor like me.
At any rate, my goal is to lose another 25 lbs over the next 4 to 5 months to get to my "fighting" weight. It will be first time I've been there (180 lbs) in three decades. I was a frightening 250 lbs a year and a half ago.
As far as the Argentinos ... They will need to learn to close down all these pizza joints and only go to Freddo's for a single dip once a week. Also, quit serving french fries with every meal ... My god, the fancy restaurants serve french fries here. It's crazy.

I live in Southern California where there is a fast food restaurant on practically every corner and guess what? Just about everyone is FAT!!! Even the kids! We even have McDonald's in WalMart!
I thought obesity was a problem specific to Americans but it looks like it's a world wide epidemic, and that's a crying shame.

Back