Growing Vegetables in Buenos Aires

What a great start to a thread. I am looking forward to hearing the responses !! I have a green thumb and want to put it to use !!

Thanks BMW Mottorad rider !!

with some plastic or glass to keep frost at bay during winter, you should be able to grow year round

Excellent post!

Buenos Aires latitude is 34 degrees (S) similar to Cape Town (S) or Adelaide (S) or Osaka (N)

Note however here is not strictly a temperate climate Humid subtropical climate (Köppen climate classification: Cfa) Brisbane and a large part of the lower eastern seaboard of the USA are more similar despite being lower latitudes than BsAs

If in the city then also need to adjust for micro-climate effects - heat island etc effects mean frost is hardly a problem but either overheating (shade!) or over shading definitely become challenges for the urban gardener. Wind burn too if living in a concrete canyon.

This is a helpful website that gives you planting seasons for different vegetables, herbs, flowers etc. in different climates/areas for a number of English speaking areas.

Mind you I think that you can successfully sow/plant with a far greater range/tolerances than is said here - just treat it as a guide!

Suggest you pick a comparable place on the list for the anglo-sphere and interpolate for optimum planting depending on your own particular growing location.

Do you have a garden or contemplating roof top?

Thanks - I've been meaning to look all this up for my own purposes but seeing your posting reminded me! i also need to check the RHS website.

if you are successful then consider participating as a 'guerrilla gardener'

You should have your seeds in the ground by the end of this month for summer veges - things like tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, capsicums etc.. However i would be growing seedlings in punnets now, and then plant out at beginning of next month to get early crops.

Carrots, cabbage, leeks, and other hardy veges can be grown all year round, but usually plant now and then again in march/april.

You can also spread out plantings to get the longest possible harvest season, planting things like tomatoes every 4 weeks apart until xmas should keep you in fresh tomatoes right up until late autum.

PhilinBSAS said:
Excellent post!

Buenos Aires latitude is 34 degrees (S) similar to Cape Town (S) or Adelaide (S) or Osaka (N)...

...and Los Angeles (N), and all of these cities are within a couple of clicks up or down:

Dallas, Ft. Worth, El Paso, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Santa Fe (NM), Tuscon, Phoenix, Santa Barbara, Atlanta, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Birmingham, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and pretty much ALL of South Carolina.

cbonanni said:
I have a green thumb and want to put it to use !!

Thanks BMW Mottorad rider !!

Excellent! Come over to my place and work on my garden. Hahaha! :)

Here's an update on the vegetable planting. We started tomatoes, carrots, and green onions from seed. They started nicely in the container on top of the fridge and we transplanted them to buckets that my wife swiped from outside the Freddo store.

The little suckers are taking off, especially the tomatoes! They must love this sun/rain/sun season! I'll let you know how they taste in December / January.

GS

Back