Buenos Aires in the 1960s

Do villas miserias exist in Japan?
not exactly, but there are homeless people living in tents in many public parks in Tokyo.
In absolute numbers, there are not that many, for a city its size, but they certainly are visible- in many high traffic tourist areas, like Ueno Park.
The japanese government does not allow full on squatter towns, like a Villa, though. Only blue tarp houses.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...nt-of-homeless-people-in-Tokyo/4571414451728/

People are making out that villas are always terrible. In many cases people choose to live in villas as they are cheaper and many own property there. Villa 31 has some decent houses. In Hong Kong many people live in the crowded conditions 10 times worse than a villa. Dubai and the gulf states the migrant workers there live 30 to a room without human rights and paid a pittance.

You could make this same video today easily, it's a propaganda piece designed to sell the city.
Erm, Peronism was literally banned in Argentina from 1955 to 1973. You're stretching quite a long way to blame it for the failed policies of almost 2 decades of right-wing governments from who seized power in a coup themselves in 1955. Somehow, despite having had no political power whatsoever for 15 years, the problems of the 70s are because of them.. Lol.

You even manage to pin the last military dictatorship on it.. Quite grotesque.
I do appreciate your comments and am willing to stand corrected to some degree (though your disparaging manner of correcting leads me to believe you're not the best of teachers). As I understand it, from 1930s to the end of the war the country amassed great wealth. With the ascendancy to power of Juan and Eva, a momentum/philosophy was established (including strong pro-labor policies and generous govt subsidies) which, over time, bankrupted state coffers. That Eva died in 1954 and Peron's return to power in 1972 lasted only 2 years before he passed doesn't, ipso facto, undermine the reasoning that it was the Peron inspired economic policies which prevailed into the 60s and early 70s that led to financial turmoil.

When VP Isabel became Pres in 1974, it was her patent incompetence and civil unrest, not economic policy per se, that led to the coup of 76.

Isabelita Peron had vicious death squads and was a direct reason for the military coup that led to the dictatorship.

the bucolic 60s economy was as unsupportable, long term, as the K years- the entire economy crashed by 30% in 1969 because the government ran out of money to support its unrealistic exchange rates, and the sixties were a time when the cost of living in Buenos Aires was one of the highest in South America. So, yes, people got paid well, and lived well, because the military dictatorship was borrowing money to float the boat, and, when the ran out of money and lenders, it crashed. Sound familiar?

I like the video. It's just like any other video about a city made to encourage tourism and immigration. Seeing what these familiar parts of the city looked like in prior years is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing, Perry

The comments on the youtube link are interesting. "Malditos argentinos, arruinaron Argentina.."

Isabelita Peron had vicious death squads and was a direct reason for the military coup that led to the dictatorship.
I was here in most of 1975 and some of 1976. While the death squads proliferated under Isabelita's term, I think it is inaccurate to say "she" had the death squads. Lopez Rega and his minions (the triple AAA) operated independently of Isabelita. It was active before and after the coup as well.
Around that time it was reported that Rega defiantly said that in order to defeat communism in Argentina, he was prepared to kill 50,000 communists, 5000 sympathizers and 500 mistakes.

Back