Buenos Aires Music Scene

Bron

Registered
what do you think of the music scene/music in general here in buenos aires? I'd be really interested in hearing people's opinions on this. like, how does it stack up against the music where you come from? what do you miss about the music from home, wherever that is? what is lacking here? as a musician here i'd really like to hear from some expats about what they wish buenos aires had to offer, music-wise.

over 9 months here i've grown to love being a part of the music scene, but not for any reasons I would have expected. here are a few positives in buenos aires:

people REALLY enjoy music. it's about having fun and getting swept up in the energy, as opposed to where I come from, where sometimes people only worry about being technically sharp at the expense of enjoying themselves and the experience (this of course has its upsides as well). I love la bomba del tiempo, not b/c I think they're the best drum troupe in the world, but b/c of the energy they create in that venue. when you look around, people are whipped into a frenzy.

I also love that after digging around, I've met a number of great musicians from all over the world. recently i got to record with a bunch of colombians who do an awesome mix of salsa, cumbia and samba. A Brazilian singer/songwriter with an awesome voice just asked me to play with his project. I may not have gotten to do that back home. Overall, there's a welcoming and positive attitude toward music, and can be a great environment for creative expression.

anyway, I'd like to hear any thoughts, comments, etc. about this topic if you feel so inspired. -bronson

Back