Buenos Aires seems safer and nicer than Los Angeles, what happened to the United States?

you do realize I am a boomer, right? Born in 1955, I enjoyed the same unfair advantage as the rest of my generation- subsidized education, relatively high wages, and very cheap real estate, followed by 40 years of wage stagnation, thousand percent and more appreciation in real estate values, and huge increases in the cost of most everything.
I have kids in their late 20s and early 30s- and their world is so different from the boomers, even "woke" ones like me, and, you with your eyes wide open.
I am discussing structural political and economic policies since the 70s, as well as the consistent voting against social services, higher taxes, or progressive policies, by the anti-Trumpist fat and sassy boomers of my generation, in places like Seattle, Portland, and Mill Valley.

I think he was referring to me because I said on the brink sounded like a triggered boomer. I agree with your general assessment Ries.

Although I think you give the younger generation, those of us in our 30s, too much credit. I don't know if we'll do any better. Let's hope.

Personally, having been there twice.....
It is said that there are two kinds of experts on Russia: people who have been there forty years, and people who have been there five days. The same applies to the US: I'm in the first group - wonder how long the poster spent there.

It is said that there are two kinds of experts on Russia: people who have been there forty years, and people who have been there five days. The same applies to the US: I'm in the first group - wonder how long the poster spent there.

Have not been to Russia so I can't say. Sorry. Maybe you can tell me if you go?

First time was around a month and second time was about six when my sister had her child.

Not sure what all the USA bashing has to do with Argentina, the subject of this site.

I feel like the communities mentioned by the poster in the USA are in tents and are there because they have mental health issues (most likely) or have some kind of new financial problem.

The poor in Arg live in permanent structures they've errected wherever they can squat. And they live there in poverty for generations in huge communities of other poor people like it's a lifestyle.

Not wanting to stir controversy, though the US has lost a lot of it's shine in the last 20 years (for me as a European and I guess many others as well). I am not saying the US is a bad place either. The US is still respected, but more like it is one among all the others while in the past, it was the example everyone looked up to. Some bad PR-moments, without wanting to be exhaustive: Powell (under Bush) trying to convince everyone that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, while everyone except US citizens knew this was not the case and the US being furiated at Europe, because France, Germany, ... not wanting to invade Iraq to put Iraq's oil under Halliburton's control. Trump proclaiming America first and wanting to go it all alone, ... and also economically, the US is not the promised land anymore it used to be. It is often easier to stay home and start a business there than trying to make it in the US.

So we could end up with a comparison of current US society to current European (EEC) societies to current Argentina. At least the discussion started with the somewhat smaller comparison between LA and BA. My perspective is that of the European citizen. A few remarks:

1) Some already said that the US is not anymore what it used to be. That's not US bashing, that's the harsh reality. USA nowadays is the result of years of Reaganism and free market policies in parts where regulation should have been in place (health care). For sure the US is still a great place for the winners that can easily miss most part of what the losers experience - by not getting out of their bubble. And the future doesn't look bright, since the political system is essentially broke. Republicans have done nothing else than to polarize, misinform and serve the rich. They obstruct where they can, and show more and more blatant anti-democratic behavior. I am not optimistic.

2) European societies have done much better in a lot of aspects, except maybe for some (for this discussion irrelevant) macro economic indicators like GDP. I do see some of the same negative trends as we have seen in the US in the last decades though: polarization, problems with regard to the affordabiity of housing/access to the housing market for the less privileged - to name a few. But still Europe is a much more gentle, pleasant society to live in than the US is, and every US citizen that has lived in Europe for some years will likely admit that.

3) In Argentina the situation is different again. I don't have to explain that in this forum. From an economic point of view the US is much better of than Argentina and would be my preferent choice. But for a nearly retiree as I am, I prefer living part of my life in Argentina any day above the USA. That has everything to do with the flawed basics on which US society is currently build.

Homeless encampments everywhere, crazy homeless people naked or half-naked hopped up on drugs running around with sticks and poles threatening you, lots of snatch and grab robberies, or home invasions where they follow you home.... Terrible traffic. Trash everywhere.

Palermo feels downright safe aside, even the guy who tried to rob my cellphone in Starbucks seemed more peaceful than the sort of thug that follows you home to pull off an armed home invasion.

What happened to our beloved country?
What happened is the Democrats were elected. Thank Biden and Harris two extremely evil people. The squad wants to destroy America and they are succeeding. Hopefully Americans will wake up and re-elect Trump. Don't hold your breath though. No cure for stupidity.

democrats
BS ...... just have to respond to an ignorant response like that ...... the question deserves a considered response....... I think our fascist tendencies were exploited by Reagan and his minions........ since then, white supremacy, belligerent arrogance, and '' domination '' seem to be the marching orders of the right, as witnessed ad naseum 2016 - 2020...... this sustained oppression has it's price..... just name-calling Dem's and liberal's for the mess the right has created over the years solves nothing.

It's very easy to blame the other national political party.

However, I would invite commenters to think at the mayoral level, since this discussion is about city government.

Are there US mayors that you think have been particularly successful? Mayors that have been particularly unsuccessful?

I think this will frame the question more clearly.

FWIW, I think the best current mayor in the US is Miami's Suarez (not even mayor of the whole city, but acts like he is). Giuliani (before the booze).

On the other hand, does anyone have confidence in Chicago's Lightfoot, or Los Angeles' Garcetti? Will Eric Adams turn around NYC?

Back