Building dispute

Denver

Registered
My neighbor below is threatening to sue me because I won't let Telecentro pass their cable through my property (terrace). I don't want to look at the cable and certainly not the other 23 cables for the departments below that will quickly show up if I set precedence with allowing the first cable.

-Could be he's just bluffing, but I thought I'd ask the forum if they can recommend an attorney here that have been of help in a building dispute.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Personally I don't think you are being fair. Who cares about looking at a cable, their are MUCH worse views than that. And most likely there will never be 23 cables, just one that will be a feeder cable that others will tap into if they subscribe to the same cable provider but the connection would be made at the feeder cable where it passes closest to their apartment.

Keep in mind that any terrace or outdoor space in a condominium building is known as "area común de uso exlusivo¨in most bylaws. In other words it's your terrace to use as you like but outdoor spaces are technically a common area with the exclusive right for you to use that piece of the building. Best to assess this situation with an attorney specializing in property law, or read your "reglamento" to see if this issue is covered.

Hope you are able to work this out with the neighbors.

-Negative.

The distributor box was placed on the water tank above my roof terrace. Therefore, 24 subscribers for the floors below will require 24 cables. The terrace is private and is detailed in my escritura.

N

Do they currently not have cable at all? Why can't the go around?

You might have a legal case, I don't know, but we are in Argentina, most people here would let the cables go. In the US people often think of "private property", or "rights", over what is nice for your neighbors. If there is no other way to pass the cables to your neighbors (probably because it was designed badly or because it is old), then how are your neighbors supposed to watch TV? You shouldn't have to go to court over this, get your neighbors together and talk to the cable company and figure something out nicely.

Denver, you´re absolutely right. Don´t worry about how your dear neighbors are going to watch television. How are they watching it now? This is a service that is cheaper than Cablevision. I know NOTHING about technolo-
gy, but I bet any time and every time there is something wrong with some- one´s tv, they´ll want to check the cable that goes through your terrace. If you give into them, they´ll come up with something else to harass the foreigner. Sad, but true...it doesn´t pay to be the good guy. Good luck, bro.

I would not be a dork about this. Have telecentro relocate the box to a lower portion of the building that is on a surface that is not shared by anybody. Try and work this out with the consorcio / administrador if there is one. I really would do my best to avoid lawyers in this because just like in the US the one that is going to come out ahead financially in this will be the lawyer and you will be out money AND have a bunch of angry neighbors. Period.

I agree... first try to negotiate for them to relocate , if you have a nice view I agree that it should not be spoiled by wires all over the place..
They do the same thing here with air conditioner compressors. In spite of the fact that many apartments are set up for "multisplit systems" meaning you can have only one compressor outside, and four indoor wall units connected to the one compressor, stores like Gabarino/Fravega, try to sell people one compressor for every wall unit to make more money, and the apartments end up with compressors hanging everywhere... when it is NOT necessary... I think they do the same with wiring here... there is always a better, less intrusive option, but the first one tried is the easier and messiest. So negotiate... then find a lawyer...
====
fred mertz said:
Denver, you´re absolutely right. Don´t worry about how your dear neighbors are going to watch television. How are they watching it now? This is a service that is cheaper than Cablevision. I know NOTHING about technolo-
gy, but I bet any time and every time there is something wrong with some- one´s tv, they´ll want to check the cable that goes through your terrace. If you give into them, they´ll come up with something else to harass the foreigner. Sad, but true...it doesn´t pay to be the good guy. Good luck, bro.

tell them to put the cables, next to a wall that doen not enterfere with your view, you can let the people work on your terrace as long as the cables are tied to a wall and enter to each appaprtment with the extra cables and holes made on each floor, you will show your good will to help, but your determination not to have cables over your terrace
andy.

Back