Building robbery

Iznogud said:
Let me put it this way, are you positive that the aggressors in this case came from there?
The other night I got alarmed by a couple that, after looking at me from accross the street a long time, seemingly waiting at a bus stop, crossed the street towards my buiding entrance. I moved away from the door when I saw them crossing, saw them hesitate in the middle of the street and resume direction when they saw someone else, hands busy, headed inside and they all went in together.
They were dark skinned/black. No such people in the blocks around me or my buildng.
A lot of "colombians" reported breaking into buildings lately. Should I blame their country or look for the nearest villa to wave my finger at?
See my point?
Nor do I blame police, We should be looking both at higher levels of government and the most basic levels of society.
Corruption is part of our society, definitely not localised. We must cleanse ourselves and stop blaming others instead of doing something about it.
Smile, help a stranger and spread the word, then maybe the dark mood will fade away and we might start building a future instead of demolishing the present.

Well, I agree with some things you point out, however I have lived in this neighborhood for over 20 years and crime grew as the villa grew. Of course their inhabitants are not to blame for everything and anything. My oldest son was robbed by a police officer ( in his uniform!!!! ) some months ago while at a park. I will summarize: Illegal immigrants with no background check ( I am all for immigration, just not criminals ), Police corruption, Narcos and drugs ( usually located in villas, but also spread all over the place ), permissive judges. The whole system is rotten. I do not need to cleanse myself: I pay taxes, I work, I am honest and I help whenever I can. Btw, I never said criminals came in a specific blend of color.

Got 20 extra years to add to yours.
While the villa vicinity does not please me at all, I think only once or twice I thought about it. When the french tourist was murdered in plain daylight and once before when a guy was murdered in the park facing Palacio San Martin one night right after work . I lived by the french consulate so that was way too close for comfort.

Apologies if the cleanse word is not appropiate. I mean to stop the blame game and start taking proactive-positive individual measures to improve this sorry state of things.

The color thing I only brought up because, while dark, they still stood out. If they were dressed as mimes I would have said so.
Do not believe in the BG stereotype, too easy to spot. The people who hurt me in life always looked like me and that's how they managed to get close enough to do their deed.

nikad said:
Mike, I live a couple of blocks from there, was that yesterday around 2pm? We went out and Pueyrredon was blocked, bunch of ambulances, motorcicles, and police between Juncal and French, or Juncal and Beruti?

I have lived in Recoleta for many years, and let's not forget now we are only 10 blocks from Villa31!

I have never seen a horde of crime in the area such as this. They have put extra police in the streets, but only until 8pm...WTF!

Hope nobody got seriously hurt.

The robbery was on French near Pueyrredon, as reported in Clarin today.
I'm afraid the discussion will now derail to whether the robbers were from Villa 31 or Colombia :D

Rich One said:
The robbery was on French near Pueyrredon, as reported in Clarin today.
I'm afraid the discussion will now derail to whether the robbers were from Villa 31 or Colombia :D

I could not find any reference on local online newspapers today. I don´t really care whether these were robbers from the villa or Colombia: the problem has the same root: governments lack of planning, lack of law enforcement, lack of opportunities, being in denial talking about a sensation, corruption, etc, etc.

Iznogud said:
Got 20 extra years to add to yours.
While the villa vicinity does not please me at all, I think only once or twice I thought about it. When the french tourist was murdered in plain daylight and once before when a guy was murdered in the park facing Palacio San Martin one night right after work . I lived by the french consulate so that was way too close for comfort.

Apologies if the cleanse word is not appropiate. I mean to stop the blame game and start taking proactive-positive individual measures to improve this sorry state of things.

The color thing I only brought up because, while dark, they still stood out. If they were dressed as mimes I would have said so.
Do not believe in the BG stereotype, too easy to spot. The people who hurt me in life always looked like me and that's how they managed to get close enough to do their deed.

I get your point. You reference places around Retiro or Recoleta´s areas closer to Retiro, let´s not forget the villa has grown and it goes from Retiro past behind UBA Law building on Pueyrredon and F. Alcorta.

DavieW said:
Where are all the know-all locals to tell us this could happen anywhere and that there's no crime in BsAs?

Iznogud said:
...a problem has been reported and your first response is to lash out...

If you think that's 'lashing out' then you've got a very different perspective on life than I have. God help your sensibilities if I ever do actually lash out!

Didn't take them long to come out of the woodwork though did it?

che said:
I'm an expat who has been here for 4 years. Just to keep it real DaveW since you asked for it front page of today's NYPost - enjoy!
sleslie23 said:
Just for "fun," here are three links from front page of the Oakland Tribune:

Help me out here BA expats - since when did NY and Oakland become barrios of Buenos Aires? I must have missed that Presidential declaration.

The difference is not that there is less crime in other cities, but that criminals are where they have to be for as long as they are sentenced, here they go in through one door and are let out through the other one too soon. ( well, that if they are ever caught and / or sentenced )

I am not going to say that there isn't any crime in BA, however when is the last time someone broke into a dark cinema and blew away a bunch of people like that guy did in Colorado. Need I continue with the numerous school shootings in the States.
I think we need to keep the reactionary responses to a reasonable level to the crime in Argentina.

RicardoBA said:
I am not going to say that there isn't any crime in BA, however when is the last time someone broke into a dark cinema and blew away a bunch of people like that guy did in Colorado. Need I continue with the numerous school shootings in the States.
I think we need to keep the reactionary responses to a reasonable level to the crime in Argentina.

What is the matter with you people?
What is it you don't understand about the concerns of those of us living here seeing more and more crime on an almost daily basis? WTF does that have to do with what's happening anywhere else?

What next Ricardo....all those people thrown out of airplanes in recent dark days here "not really such a bad thing compared to what happened in Germany in the 30s"?

Back