Buquebus And Best B.a. Restaurants.

The best site for restaurant reviews is http://www.saltshaker.net/restaurant-reviews

I took 7:30 Buquebus a week ago and showed up at 6:30. No problem, but I did check in on line the night before though.

The best site for restaurant reviews is http://www.saltshake...taurant-reviews

I have to disagree. Dan doesnt get out that much anymore. He is busy, running his own puerta cerrada.
Many of his reviews are out of date, many places that have closed, and so on.
This is not to put him down- but he is actually cooking, and serving, five nights a week. This just doesnt leave him the time to constantly eat at every new place in town, for lunch and dinner.

Aly is out, virtually every night. In fact, I saw her tonight, eating at Gran Dabang.
She is young, energetic, and her job is checking out restaurants.
Plus, I have to say, after eating here since 2007, I tend to agree with her take on individual restaurants more than Dans. I have eaten in a bunch of places, over the years, that Dan visited once, ordered two things, and panned. But repeated visits, and more range of choices, had proven him to be, well, not "wrong", but of a different opinion than mine.
All critics have their own biases. When you spend time reading a critic, then trying for yourself, you learn how their tastes align with your own.
For instance, I have been reading Richard Christgau's rock music reviews since 1969. I have a good idea when I might agree with him, and when I think he is full of BS- I never saw the light about Dolly Parton, for example, but I trust him implicitly about African music.
Same thing with Dan- I know where our tastes agree, and where they differ, as I have been reading his reviews since 2007.

Aly, at Pick up the fork, is somebody I trust- I read her reviews, and then I go and eat at the restaurant, and, for me, anyway, she is much more right on than Dan is.

But, I would agree, you should read both, if you are seriously interested in food in BsAs.

PS-
Gran Dabang.
Scalabrini, just south of Costa Rica.
Amazing. Argentine chef, hybrids of asian, local ingredients, and fantasias he just made up.
Some kind of Chard Pakoras, with carrot chutney?
Lamb steaks, chicken sausages, cole slaws with mangos and cilantro- really inspired cooking. Not fancy, not expensive, and you better get there early, or there will be 20 people out on the sidewalk.

(Dan, at Casa Saltshaker, hasnt reviewed it. Or Butcher, or Yeite. Again, I am sure is is busy cooking. Not his fault. But there is a lot going on here, things change weekly)

I have to disagree. Dan doesnt get out that much anymore. He is busy, running his own puerta cerrada.
Many of his reviews are out of date, many places that have closed, and so on.
This is not to put him down- but he is actually cooking, and serving, five nights a week. This just doesnt leave him the time to constantly eat at every new place in town, for lunch and dinner.

Aly is out, virtually every night. In fact, I saw her tonight, eating at Gran Dabang.
She is young, energetic, and her job is checking out restaurants.
Plus, I have to say, after eating here since 2007, I tend to agree with her take on individual restaurants more than Dans. I have eaten in a bunch of places, over the years, that Dan visited once, ordered two things, and panned. But repeated visits, and more range of choices, had proven him to be, well, not "wrong", but of a different opinion than mine.
All critics have their own biases. When you spend time reading a critic, then trying for yourself, you learn how their tastes align with your own.
For instance, I have been reading Richard Christgau's rock music reviews since 1969. I have a good idea when I might agree with him, and when I think he is full of BS- I never saw the light about Dolly Parton, for example, but I trust him implicitly about African music.
Same thing with Dan- I know where our tastes agree, and where they differ, as I have been reading his reviews since 2007.

Aly, at Pick up the fork, is somebody I trust- I read her reviews, and then I go and eat at the restaurant, and, for me, anyway, she is much more right on than Dan is.

But, I would agree, you should read both, if you are seriously interested in food in BsAs.

You make some good points, but I would suggest that Dan gets out to quite a few places for lunch. Also, I find the writing at Pickupthefork to be juvenile gee-whiz stuff - she simply doesn't seem to know much about food.

Go eat at the restaurants she likes. Then see how your own opinions match, or dont match, hers. She is a twenty something- they all write like that. Doesnt make em dumb, and having sampled probably fifty restaurants she wrote about, and compared them to her reviews, I think you are wrong. She knows whats good.

You make some good points, but I would suggest that Dan gets out to quite a few places for lunch. Also, I find the writing at Pickupthefork to be juvenile gee-whiz stuff - she simply doesn't seem to know much about food.

The writing probably isn't apt for pensionable residents of Oakland, but it get's the message across quite well for those of us that live here.

Although I don't always enjoy the style she employs in her writing, I can appreciate the energy and enthusiasm she conveys. She writes to a younger expat audience.

She certainly knows a lot about food. I know it's hard for you to validate that, given you don't live here and haven't the opportunity to try those new restaurants. I certainly trust the effort an actual resident of the country puts in.

She certainly lifts herself above the tired cliche of plugging her friends´ business and running down the competition without much regard to accuracy. I've seen you resort to that when it suits you.

Roux Resto; R. Peña 2300 , Recoleta.
LOVE IT! :)
Pena y Azcuenaga. Reservation is often needed +54 (11) 4805 6794
It's such good food! It'd be a good idea to patronize the place mondays and tuesdays when they have less business.

Roux Resto; R. Peña 2300 , Recoleta.

http://pickupthefork...urants-in-2014/

Please Overlook the R. the correct Address is Peña 23'00....""

img_4394.jpg

This may be a mistake, but - having stumbled across this thread, and hesitant to jump in because I don't want to come across as being defensive, and maybe I shouldn't, but here goes. First off, I love Allie's blog and read it whenever she posts - and she's often clued in to places that I have yet to hear about simply because we move in different circles. I'd imagine that the same is true in reverse. And no question we have different styles and different perspectives. And yes, I have a lot of older reviews that are outdated - as someone pointed out above, there's a lot happening in BA, and I've been writing about the food here since 2005 (versus 2010, so yes, I have more older reviews than pickupthefork does) - I'd take a review that was written by anyone 5-10 years ago with a grain of salt - things change - some of them I get back to and re-review them, others I simply don't have the time for....

...but I'd have to (okay,minor self-defense) take issue with the idea that I rarely get out and review anything anymore, or that it's just for lunch, or even that it's just to try a single dish and then pronounce judgement on a restaurant. Casa SaltShaker is only open 3-4 days a week, not 5-6, I have plenty of time to go out, and regularly do. In the last year (and specific to BA), setting aside things like my search for the best of a specific dish, like ajiacco de conejo or suprema maryland, or shawarmas or burgers, etc. - which add up to 86 reviews of a specific dish at different places over the last year, I also posted 39 "mini-reviews" of individual restaurants that are a paragraph or two after trying just a couple of dishes - 37 of which were positive reviews, not "panned", and, a solid 17 full-on reviews that involved multiple visits and dishes, only one of which was negative. One difference in our blogs - Allie only writes positive reviews, if she doesn't like a place, she simply doesn't review it. Not to put too fine a point on it, but okay - Allie may be "out every night" (though I doubt it), but she's only written 5 full reviews in the last year on pickupthefork, plus two posts that involved mini-reviews of 24 spots. Like me, she's got other work besides her blog too.

Now, agree with my assessments (or hers)? That's a whole different question - I have my personal tastes, and there's no question my reviews are not objective, they're not intended to be, they're completely my own opinions - as are Allie's, or any other reviewer's - I'd note, we're generally in agreement on places when we both review them, so I'm not sure how one of us could be right and the other wrong. Hopefully, you'll read both to get a mix of perspectives, and, in the end, trust your own tastes.

Back