Bus Robbery

Wow! Thanks for being honest and retracting the story. It takes a big person to admit they were wrong and apologize.

(Now I can only imagine where this is going to take this discussion.) :huh:

Out of curiosity, how did it happen that he came forward with the truth? Guilty conscience?

Well, he didn't just come forward. After I saw the post in the other thread, I asked my wife for more information on what happened. The brother-in-law suddenly for the last few days was too busy to come by, even though he comes by pretty regularly almost everyday. We were all (myself, my wife and the other brothers) becoming a little suspicious - he was even avoiding them. He didn't go back to his room last night. My wife was leaving tonight to go to Paraguay for a week and now we were actually getting a little worried about him. They were calling the girlfriend, other friends, anyone to find out where he was. Finally he called up and talked to my wife and when she confronted him about it, he admitted what was going on.

The thing is, I know the family quite well, and they are all honest people. This is an anomaly, and I'm sure he didn't realize that it would go this far - as far as he was concerned it was a small lie because it didn't really affect anyone else - he's just a bit naive. He's 19, first time in the big city, feeling guilty about going to the villa when he's not supposed to, and just didn't realize the trouble his lie would get him into.

Heh. His brothers are going to give him a hard time, and I don't mean just necessarily verbally! My wife returns with another younger sister in a week and maybe either the mother or father is going to come too, for a little visit...set things straight with their wayward child!

Wow invent such a history just to avoid telling the true about the girl friend, thank for telling the true anyway. I was already thinking that your brother in law must be telling a lie but dind't want to untrust your word, i ask in my work and no one had a clue of that and later on didn't found anything on the media so was very weird.

Maybe they are both calling for atention your brothers in law :)

Probably mainly to cover up the loss of his cell phone as ssomething that could have happened to anyone rather than something that happened because he took unnecessary risks that were explicitly forbidden.

Well, he didn't just come forward. After I saw the post in the other thread, I asked my wife for more information on what happened. The brother-in-law suddenly for the last few days was too busy to come by, even though he comes by pretty regularly almost everyday. We were all (myself, my wife and the other brothers) becoming a little suspicious - he was even avoiding them. He didn't go back to his room last night. My wife was leaving tonight to go to Paraguay for a week and now we were actually getting a little worried about him. They were calling the girlfriend, other friends, anyone to find out where he was. Finally he called up and talked to my wife and when she confronted him about it, he admitted what was going on.

The thing is, I know the family quite well, and they are all honest people. This is an anomaly, and I'm sure he didn't realize that it would go this far - as far as he was concerned it was a small lie because it didn't really affect anyone else - he's just a bit naive. He's 19, first time in the big city, feeling guilty about going to the villa when he's not supposed to, and just didn't realize the trouble his lie would get him into.

Heh. His brothers are going to give him a hard time, and I don't mean just necessarily verbally! My wife returns with another younger sister in a week and maybe either the mother or father is going to come too, for a little visit...set things straight with their wayward child!

He shouldn't go to the villa and he shouldn't be allowed to hang out with people from there either. Not because they're necessarily bad people but because they're part of a toxic environment that destroys and contaminates everything it touches.

He shouldn't go to the villa and he shouldn't be allowed to hang out with people from there either. Not because they're necessarily bad people but because they're part of a toxic environment that destroys and contaminates everything it touches.

We do everything we can to discourage him, absolutely. Unfortunately, he does not fall under my tutelage, as does his sister who lives with us (and is 16). Even with her, there is only so much I can do anyway.

Kids will be kids. He lives alone at the moment, he's an adult, he comes from a much more permissive and risk-taking society, with a completely different set of societal controls than we have. Hopefully he'll learn from this and start realizing that taking those kinds of risk to date a girl who lives in a place like that (and she is far from worth it - I've met her and I'll never understand from either a looks, personality or intelligence perspective what he sees in her!) is dumb even for him.

And I agree with you about the villas. The people that live there are the very bottom wage earners (those who have jobs!) at the "consumer" end, and often quite ignorant with no desire to improve themselves, or at the very least no idea how to go about it and no desire to figure that out either. I know many people who live there and it's unbelievable the level of density we are talking about. At the landlord end are either mafiosos, or people who have a bit of money and have built their own buildings and rent to the consumers. The prices are very cheap, a fraction of what the lowest accommodations go for in the city proper. No one pays for electricity or cable or water. They share the place with drug dealers and thieves, most of whom prey on the inhabitants of the Villa itself, not necessarily outside as much (those are other gangs, I've had a PFA detective I know tell me), preferring to live like that because it's cheap and they don't really have to integrate into Argentine society beyond whatever they do outside the Villa. All dirty, unsanitary, rickety, unsafe, etc.

I know a guy who's sister is one of those who had a bit of money, bought a broken down building some years ago, and built her own tenement there. I've never been, but I've heard descriptions of the place. Shudder. At least she lives there too!

Well El Queso it was never "your word" that was wrong. You did what we all do every day--believe lies that are told us on the media, etc. But who would NOT believe his brother-in-law, unless he was a known liar, I certainly would believe mine. Honestly, people are amazing--in both negative and positive ways. But the young often have to learn the hard way, sad to say. I suspect, from all you say, he IS learning the hard way--and the fact he was avoiding everybody shows the making of character, at least to me. If he had blatantly faced you all with the lie I would have more concern for him. I suspect you're more of an influence than you think. And I'm glad!

ElQueso, just put it down to experience and give his ears a good verbal thumping.

Just to show that we can all be taken in by the over zealous activities of young people, I have a client at work, he's 24. Three weeks ago he along with another young person travelled to Singapore and Hong Kong as representatives of our organisation to the Asia Pacific conference of the Raleigh alumni. Well, how much trouble do you think a 24 year old male can get upto in Singapore before my manager arrived there 14 hours later....simple answer, a lot! He met a 'nice girl' at a disco a proceeded to propose marriage, what's more she agreed :eek: ! He was all set to meet the parents when the cavalry arrived, my manager. Needless to say the intervention was timed to perfection, and the offending braindead 24 year old was whisked away to the confrerence in H.K before any further damage could be done ;). I had the opportunity to address his misdemeanor on his return, and I am so not nice when angry. He survived the inquisition, and is under strict instructions to control his raging hormones and to get a job. I must admit I had a good laugh about it afterwards, but appreciate it could have been much worse.

P.S. You might try a drop or two of bromide in your bro in law's mate, as it would appear he like the above example has severe case of raging hormones!

Well folks, I have to say that I am completely embarrassed and very disappointed in my brother-in-law.

I must retract the subject of this thread.

As was pointed out by another person in another thread (although he has no ability to approach possible misinformation with any kind of tact), it turns out this story was not true. Had that other person in the other thread presented why he doubted the story in a mature and polite manner I may have even found this out earlier, but considering that there are so many punks in the world, well, what can I say.

It turns out that the story came out of the fear my immature brother-in-law has of his sister. He is dating a girl who lives in Villa 31. He has been told under no circumstances is he to go there, upon threat of a beating. If he has to see her, see her somewhere else. But of course, he ignored that advice and was robbed while in the Villa. He made up this incredible story to cover that fact. I can't even come up with a reason why he would invent such an asinine false story to cover his actions - for god's sake, as I told my wife, why didn't he just say he was robbed on the street somewhere?

I feel really stupid, to be honest. I do not put what I consider unverified events in the public domain. He was so scared, and his story was fairly detailed about who did what on the bus, etc, that it really did not occur to me to doubt his story. On top of that, I couldn't imagine that someone would actually invent such a fantastic story. I myself started to wonder when there were no news articles that came out about this, but this is Argentina and one never knows.

I apologize profusely to all for having started this thread without having first verified the story. I strive hard to put out only information that I consider to be authentic, and I failed big-time on this one.

I'm sorry for react the way I did, I apologize for that, but http://baexpats.org/...ry/page__st__20

Have a good day

Phillip DT........woooooooo! Please post a list of other groups that you feel are the scum of the earth and the cause of any troubles you have in your life...Just want to make sure that if I am on your list I stay clear of you! woooooooooo

Back