Bus Robbery

One thing you boys have failed to explore is that a foreigner, especially a Yanqui or Brit would face a tough time in court if they killed or injured the thief, even if the shooting was justified.

Could end up protecting your property at the expense of losing your bum cherry in the pin.

I'm sure most of us would like to have GS Dirtboy as a neighbour but he's really not representative of the population in general:
- Not everybody is an ex-Marine
- Not everybody can stay calm in borderline situations (if you are prone to panick with your heartbeat reaching 150 bpm in a dangerous situation, then a gun is definitely not for you).
- Many people are really dumb and don't follow any rules (just see the way people drive... And imagine now all of them with a gun in the car... Ouch).
- The way you'll react facing a danger will depend on your own situation (not the same thing if you only have to defend yourself and defending wife + kids).
- It's no wonder it's a passionate debate: guns belong to the culture & roots of the US nation.
- Then should be considered the question: which kind of weapong to use (in a house, better have a shotgun not to kill your neighbour).

There's no definitive answer and having/not having guns will come with its bunch of pros/cons:
- Having a gun: risk that kids blow up their heads (4000 kids die every year in the US because of that, in some other countries it will be less than 10/20 per year), risk that a father shoots by accident a kid coming back late at night thinking it's a burglar, risk that you get your fancy guns robbed (quite often for now, the scumbags using guns in Argentina have old or weak weapons... If you increase the number of weapons, they'll end up with Uzis or such, which will bring another problem with the balance of fighting power with the cops and such), etc.
- Not having a gun: if some kids completely fucked up with Paco come into your house then you are in deep s**t, you can only count on passive measures or try your luck if there's an opportunity to use a knife or whatever, etc.

0 risk does not exist in both situations, decision to allow guns would deeply affect the society. I personally think it would be better instead to strengthen the Law enforcement corps and that they should be the ones allowed to have guns in the streets. Having a shotgun at home can be useful though but even for that, there should be control/regulation to make sure the owners are trained/psychologically reviewed and such.

Eventhough someone would be perfectly trained, psychologically balanced, with the proper weapons, there will be situations when, assessing quickly the risks/benefits, you'll have to just "let go" and not take your chances.

It's also a question of the life choices you want to make, what you're ready to sacrifice (or risks you're willing to take) to feel more secure, choosing what you will gain for what you will lose, etc.

My situation is very specific since I rescue dogs and have a huge garden but with my 8/9 dogs (four of them around 100 lbs) I feel perfectly secure. I could buy a shotgun someday as a plus but I don't really feel the need for now. I had once a major problem on General Paz at 2am with a guy who had a "tumbera" and wanted to shoot me but I ended up chasing him since I didn't panick & I have the chance to stay utterly calm in such situations & take the right decisions.

One thing you boys have failed to explore is that a foreigner, especially a Yanqui or Brit would face a tough time in court if they killed or injured the thief, even if the shooting was justified.

Could end up protecting your property at the expense of losing your bum cherry in the pin.

That is a valid point (except I'd always use sufficient force to protect life). I've never taken the view that any property is worth anyone's life - including the person's who might be trying to steal something. That is why I have property insurance. However, entering my house is a very different matter. That is where my family lives.

Every state in the US can have different laws for the use of lethal force.

"Hey darlin! If y'all ever shoot somebody who's done broke into the house make dang sure to pull both their feets inside the winder ... and stick a screwdriver or some'un in their hands ... uh, that's before you call the poe-leece."

Does anyone know the Argentine laws for lethal force?

Many thanks!

Well folks, I have to say that I am completely embarrassed and very disappointed in my brother-in-law.

I must retract the subject of this thread.

As was pointed out by another person in another thread (although he has no ability to approach possible misinformation with any kind of tact), it turns out this story was not true. Had that other person in the other thread presented why he doubted the story in a mature and polite manner I may have even found this out earlier, but considering that there are so many punks in the world, well, what can I say.

It turns out that the story came out of the fear my immature brother-in-law has of his sister. He is dating a girl who lives in Villa 31. He has been told under no circumstances is he to go there, upon threat of a beating. If he has to see her, see her somewhere else. But of course, he ignored that advice and was robbed while in the Villa. He made up this incredible story to cover that fact. I can't even come up with a reason why he would invent such an asinine false story to cover his actions - for god's sake, as I told my wife, why didn't he just say he was robbed on the street somewhere?

I feel really stupid, to be honest. I do not put what I consider unverified events in the public domain. He was so scared, and his story was fairly detailed about who did what on the bus, etc, that it really did not occur to me to doubt his story. On top of that, I couldn't imagine that someone would actually invent such a fantastic story. I myself started to wonder when there were no news articles that came out about this, but this is Argentina and one never knows.

I apologize profusely to all for having started this thread without having first verified the story. I strive hard to put out only information that I consider to be authentic, and I failed big-time on this one.

El Queso, I give you props for posting the redaction and admitting the story was wrong. We've all been wrong before. I imagine we'll all be wrong again at some point.

Wow! Thanks for being honest and retracting the story. It takes a big person to admit they were wrong and apologize.

(Now I can only imagine where this is going to take this discussion.) :huh:

Out of curiosity, how did it happen that he came forward with the truth? Guilty conscience?

Wow invent such a history just to avoid telling the true about the girl friend, thank for telling the true anyway. I was already thinking that your brother in law must be telling a lie but dind't want to untrust your word, i ask in my work and no one had a clue of that and later on didn't found anything on the media so was very weird.

Maybe they are both calling for atention your brothers in law :)

Back