Bus travel within Brazil and to BsAs

SFMike

Registered
I'm thinking of heading to Rio for a few days in January and was thinking that rather than flying back, I might see more of the country via bus (perhaps stop in Sao Paolo or Florionapolis or Puerto Alegre), the way that you might with in Argentina. But I know nothing about travelling in Brazil and I've heard horror stories about the state of things in general -- is the bus safe? Is it feasible to travel from there to here by bus? Does anyone have recommendations for cities?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've taken numerous buses within Rio Grande do Sul state, from Porto Alegre to small cities in RS state. They were very safe, clean, etc. I think buses are just as safe there as they would be here. I think you'll be fine.

Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Florianópolis, and Porto Alegre are all very accessible by bus. The "rodoviária" in Porto Alegre is nicer than Retiro, and I imagine Tietê in São Paulo is the same, if not better.

On a sidenote, I'd suggest you to look at purchasing plane tickets from GOL. They often have fares that are cheaper or maybe a bit more than the bus. It's a very good airline.

Boa sorte!

You really get around, Bradley. Any recommendations in Southern Brazil aside from Rio?

I recommend these places in Rio Grande do Sul:

Gramado/Canela - Parque do Caracol

Garibaldi/Bento Gonçalves - Vale dos Vinhedos (if you love wine, you'll love this area)

...This area, the Serra Gaúcha, is just really beautiful. IF you can get rent a car, I would totally recommend it. The drives are really nice...

bradlyhale said:
On a sidenote, I'd suggest you to look at purchasing plane tickets from GOL. They often have fares that are cheaper or maybe a bit more than the bus. It's a very good airline.

Also check out OceanAir (http://www.oceanair.com.br/). They were cheaper than Gol when I flew from Florianopolis to Sao Paulo about a year ago.

Back