Buses

I dont know what everyone in here has with Chile being almost paradise? I did notice a difference in people being a bit more quiet, Santiago not being as hectic as BsAs, but other than that?? The only place they ever tried to rob me was Valparaíso, it didnt work cause the man from the hotdogs next to me warned me. The minibusses in there were one of the creepiest and most confusing busexperiences ive ever had. Yet the bus i was taking to the north waited for me, i arrived a bit late, as i was only one of the few people that took the bus from that point and so they didnt leave without me. Ive had similar good and bad stuff happening to me in Argentina, besides the robbing which has never happened to me there. I have friends, and had boyfriends, from both sides of the border, and there are some differences but in no way like theyre from different planets.

I'll put most of it down to neighbourly rivalry.
In my opinion Santiago is much cleaner and more developed than BA but not by much.

The long distances buses Ive taken here have been great in both countries.
Los collectios in BA are pretty shoddy but get me to where I need to be.

I think that between acceptable (Argentina) and outstanding (Chile), there is a world of difference.

In my travels to Chile I didn't find the buses "outstanding", I found them very good, yes. But I'll be in Chile soon and I'll see again. Perhaps things have changed.

Considering there are railway lines going all the way to Rio Negro in the south and Salta in the north from Buenos Aires it is a tragedy they have been left to rot and you have to rely on buses to get across the country.

Argentina_Railway_Network_Map.jpg

I completely agree with you! I'm Argentinian but I admit all these drawbacks. It's only that sometimes I hear people say what I consider exaggerations about Chile.

And yes, I wish I could travel by train to all places. In fact, I wish there was the international railway service to Chile, like they say it used to be.

I'll put most of it down to neighbourly rivalry.
In my opinion Santiago is much cleaner and more developed than BA but not by much.

The long distances buses Ive taken here have been great in both countries.
Los collectios in BA are pretty shoddy but get me to where I need to be.

With all my respect, Santiago is a valley full of smog. You cannot use white clothes because they become grey.

Regarding buses, they have only one road and I have when they start playing lottery on the bus with an entertainer, it is bizarre.

Regards

With all my respect, Santiago is a valley full of smog. You cannot use white clothes because they become grey.

ALL populated valleys are "full of smog".

Los Angeles had smog before the Europeans even arrived back in the 1500s. If you look out at Athens from the Acropolis, it looks like you are on a semi-submerged crouton in the middle of a bowl of pea soup.

Denver... same. Salt Lake City.. same. And they are just NEXT TO mountains, not completely surrounded by them. (Same as LA basin, but not the San Fernando Valley)

So until Chile goes all electric, it's going to have issues. It could be 100 years ahead of Buenos Aires, but the fact that BsAs has water on 2 of its 4 sides helps a whole hell of a lot, and has nothing to do with the government, the people, or the previous dictatorships.

Now, back to the pissing contest...

ALL populated valleys are "full of smog".

Los Angeles had smog before the Europeans even arrived back in the 1500s. If you look out at Athens from the Acropolis, it looks like you are on a semi-submerged crouton in the middle of a bowl of pea soup.

Denver... same. Salt Lake City.. same. And they are just NEXT TO mountains, not completely surrounded by them. (Same as LA basin, but not the San Fernando Valley)

So until Chile goes all electric, it's going to have issues. It could be 100 years ahead of Buenos Aires, but the fact that BsAs has water on 2 of its 4 sides helps a whole hell of a lot, and has nothing to do with the government, the people, or the previous dictatorships.

Now, back to the pissing contest...

Very true but still mexico city and Santiago de chile are the 2 citys with worst air pollution in latam and with the most dangerous kind of smoke, you cannot go to run in the city as that is very bad for your health in Santiago.

This 'who has the best buses' contest has become very surreal! Clearly the rivalry between the two countries is a little more hostile than is useful. Closer economic partnership would benefit both.

I hear Santiago is a great business city but the smog is a little pervasive. Mind you on certain days the smell of trash on certain street corners here isn't so delightful.

Tangentially, why in Nunez are there containers, which help contain the trash problem and in parts of Belgrano there aren't?

This 'who has the best buses' contest has become very surreal! Clearly the rivalry between the two countries is a little more hostile than is useful. Closer economic partnership would benefit both.

The rivalry exists for a reason. Watch this video and just replace "America" with "Argentina" and "World" with "Latin America" and you will understand why this region has such an attitude towards Argentina.

http://youtu.be/i7mUaKUp8Ho

Back