Buying a car... help.

jp

Registered
Hola a todos

4 years on, I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge and buy a car. Back home 2nd hand cars cost pennies and I wouldn't worry too much about the price. But given that rusting piles of crap cost thousands of dollars - does anyone have any tips on how to buy a reasonably priced used car? Are there any services, used car lots, dealers etc that anyone can recommend? Mercadolibre frightens me...

mil gracias

j

Thanks guys.

Probably have 3-5k USD to spend. Would prefer to buy something thats not going to depreciate too rapidly, would like to have the option to recoup a decent whack of the original purchase price if I want to sell it on in a year or two.

I love the old model fords, but not sure how practical they are to maintain, or how comfortable/safe they are to ride. Have seen some beautiful looking old fords for around 4k, but have no idea what to expect from them. If vintage is out the question, anything comfortable and economical will do.

In your budget, a car that is cheap to maintain, robust, with a low MPG, that you can fix anywhere in Argentina : a Renault 12

Of course, it's not too fancy...

Also, depending on your migratory situation you can consider driving a foreign registered car.

Reactions: jp
Curious......did anyone love their car enough to ship it with them to Argentina? I have to imagine the costs would be sky-high.

Altitude said:
Curious......did anyone love their car enough to ship it with them to Argentina? I have to imagine the costs would be sky-high.

No, but driving it from the US or Canada is quite common... And when you reach Ushuaïa after crossing 16 countries, you are inclined to prefer a safe flight back home!

Back