Buying a car on a tourist visa without a DNI/precaria

Has anyone bought one from a private seller? I know these dealers will do the paperwork for you but what about having to handle it yourself?

Would never attempt it even if fluent in Spanish..! must check the validity of title with a Notary public, plus do the paperwork for the Transfer. Check if any liens exist and/or unpaid fines..Etc. Lots of frustration..!

Thanks again for the advice. I actually got in touch with them a while ago and they said they'd have to ask their manager to call me back, obviously never did... (classic...!). I guess I'll go down there in person when I actually need a car.

A related question for those that bought a car with only your foreign passport, did any of you have problems bringing it out of the country for travelling (e.g. Brazil, Uruguay Chile etc.)? Obviously this is a minor issue but if I'm gonna buy a car I'd obviously like to be able to go abroad in it as well.

A whole issue driving out of the country without permanent DNI was a nono until recently could have changed? the alternative was to have an authorized (Blue Card) citizen drive cross the border..!

A whole issue driving out of the country without permanent DNI was a nono until recently could have changed? the alternative was to have an authorized (Blue Card) citizen drive cross the border..!

Huh... weird... is this the same even for mercosur countries? I lived in Chile a few years ago (on a temporary visa but i still got a Chilean DNI) and I could cross over in my chilean car to Argentina and even uruguay and brazil without any issues...

In other news the contado con liqui is now at 133 which means more pesos for those of us that use western union...

Huh... weird... is this the same even for mercosur countries? I lived in Chile a few years ago (on a temporary visa but i still got a Chilean DNI) and I could cross over in my chilean car to Argentina and even uruguay and brazil without any issues...

Weeeeeell with a Valid Chilean DNI on a Chilean licensed Car you can go anywhere in Mercosur. In an Argentinian licensed car with a US/foreign Passport ? it's a totally different issue altogether...! Check with Customs..? A few years ago even a Temporary Visa DNI Extranjero.. was not good to drive out of the country..! Auto Rentals have special Customs Regulations..!

Back