Buying a car or bike in a neighbor country and driving to Argentina?

On a side note about cars I was never considering.. I'm looking on Mercado libre and seeing new fiats and puegots for barely over 1000000 pesos.. am I looking at something wrong? You can buy a new car for 5k?

On a side note about cars I was never considering.. I'm looking on Mercado libre and seeing new fiats and puegots for barely over 1000000 pesos.. am I looking at something wrong? You can buy a new car for 5k?
Correct. These cars are usually made in Argentina under license. For example a new VW Taos SUV starts at around 5.000.000 (around US$23.000 blue/ US$46.000 official reference price)

Whereas a new imported Audi, DS, Mercedes Benz SUV will go for around 10.000.000 (around US$46.000 blue/ US$92.000 official reference price)

Now you see that buying in Argentina is all about timing. During times when the brecha between the blue/ CCL and official is (almost) non-existent or significantly lower than it is today, it can be eyewateringly expensive here.

Ummm... it literally just makes a lot of sense to buy a new cheap car and use it for 2.5 years. 5-7k.. the same car starts at 18k euros in Europe. This kind of changes things up.

As for bringing in a foreign car (as if you were say a Brazilian or Chilean tourist) the vehicle will only be allowed to be on the roads here for 180 days (and you can get an extension only once)

No
Foreign plated tourists` cars are getting temporary import permission (TIP). Its for tourist vehicles. This will give you an aduana oficcer at the border, it can be from 0(denied)-1 day to up to 8 months. Its not fixed, its 1 day- 8 months, may be only 30 days or 2 months, you got the idea, you can`t plan it ahead. 180 IDK where from this number is.
Concerning extension one must justify why on earth he needs it and it can be from 0 days(extension denied) up to 8 months, once again the aduana officer decides how much to give you. Pre-covid the reasons were like death or illness of somebody, or the car is broke etc.

unless you’re an Argentine citizen or resident in which case it is 90 days with no extension possible

No. Residents can`t bring a foreign plated car in no case as this permission is for tourists! 0 days, entry denied.
Exception: Residents can bring a car 1 time for free shortly after obtaining residency.
Argentinians can`r do it in no case. Unless they live abroad and bring a prove from Arg consulate abroad that they will be tourists in their own country.

With a foreign plate or interesting looking vehicle you’ll be stopped more than a locally plated FIAT Cronus for sure...

this one is true(from my own experience at least)

Last edited:
Correct. These cars are usually made in Argentina under license. For example a new VW Taos SUV starts at around 5.000.000 (around US$23.000 blue/ US$46.000 official reference price)

Whereas a new imported Audi, DS, Mercedes Benz SUV will go for around 10.000.000 (around US$46.000 blue/ US$92.000 official reference price)

Now you see that buying in Argentina is all about timing. During times when the brecha between the blue/ CCL and official is (almost) non-existent or significantly lower than it is today, it can be eyewateringly expensive here.
Secret is learning a lot about Shopping.

Secret is learning a lot about Shopping.

It's good to learn new skills. The chance of me buying a new car here just increased dramatically lol. I kind of feel like I should convert a bunch of money now before I get unlucky and the rate drop.

Pickup trucks are exempt from the additional luxury tax since they are work vehicles. If a Hilux or Ranger Raptor floats your boat. Resale on them is even better.

It's amazing how cheap cars can be when you don't need to crash test them or provide back up cams and sensors or high tech gadgets like motorized seats or cruise control or a good suspension or leather upholstery. And then theres a 1 liter engine that is as slow as snot. Driving my wife's gol down the street is one step above a golf cart but it was only 4500 bucks on the blue so whatever.

Some of those electric scooters and bikes that are finally arriving to argentina are damn near 2500 dollars...

It's amazing how cheap cars can be when you don't need to crash test them or provide back up cams and sensors or high tech gadgets like motorized seats or cruise control or a good suspension or leather upholstery. And then theres a 1 liter engine that is as slow as snot. Driving my wife's gol down the street is one step above a golf cart but it was only 4500 bucks on the blue so whatever.

Some of those electric scooters and bikes that are finally arriving to argentina are damn near 2500 dollars...

I don't think I'd equate the price with what you are saying. It's only leftover 2021 cars that dealers needs to move that are cheap. The 2022 cars are are a lot more expensive. And the same stripped down super slow 75 hp model Peugeot is 17k euros. Aside from the crash test perspective, everything else should be the same.

No
Foreign plated tourists` cars are getting temporary import permission (TIP). Its for tourist vehicles. This will give you an aduana oficcer at the border, it can be from 0(denied)-1 day to up to 8 months. Its not fixed, its 1 day- 8 months, may be only 30 days or 2 months, you got the idea, you can`t plan it ahead. 180 IDK where from this number is.
Concerning extension one must justify why on earth he needs it and it can be from 0 days(extension denied) up to 8 months, once again the aduana officer decides how much to give you. Pre-covid the reasons were like death or illness of somebody, or the car is broke etc.

No. Residents can`t bring a foreign plated car in no case as this permission is for tourists! 0 days, entry denied.
Exception: Residents can bring a car 1 time for free shortly after obtaining residency.
Argentinians can`r do it in no case. Unless they live abroad and bring a prove from Arg consulate abroad that they will be tourists in their own country.

this one is true(from my own experience at least)
It seems if crossing to and from Bolivia there are different time limits and rules for Argentines residing there and visiting Argentina. Good to know different time limits and rules apply to other countries none the less.

1. La admisión temporal del vehículo particular será por un plazo máximo de permanencia de 180 días, contados desde la fecha de ingreso, prorrogables por única vez y por igual término.
  2. La solicitud de prórroga deberá efectuarse durante la vigencia del plazo original otorgado.
    Su presentación podrá formalizarse ante cualquier aduana argentina, la que comunicará su otorgamiento a la aduana en cuya jurisdicción se encuentre el paso fronterizo habilitado de entrada del respectivo vehículo particular.
    La prórroga será otorgada siempre que, al momento de la solicitud, el titular de la admisión temporal acredite su calidad de turista y pueda permanecer como tal en el país, conforme a la documentación y normativa migratoria vigente.
  3. Cuando se trate de ciudadanos argentinos con residencia permanente en Bolivia, el plazo máximo de permanencia del vehículo particular será de 90 días no acumulativos ni prorrogables, otorgados para cada entrada bajo admisión temporal.

Back