Buying a car or bike in a neighbor country and driving to Argentina?

I don't think I'd equate the price with what you are saying. It's only leftover 2021 cars that dealers needs to move that are cheap. The 2022 cars are are a lot more expensive. And the same stripped down super slow 75 hp model Peugeot is 17k euros. Aside from the crash test perspective, everything else should be the same.

I just used the gol as an example since it is made here as a popular car here. you ever seen one of these gols after a wreck? I think you have better chances if you get thrown out of the vehicle. Luckily this thing sits in the garage 99% of the time.

My comparison was more so with cars in the US that are now at crazy prices (and that everyone likes to complain about) but are mostly sold with a billion sensors and features that jack the price way up. A bare bones car (such as a gol) can be really not that expensive. Of course, in the US nobody would buy a gol so I guess it's a moot point. Nobody there wants a stripped down slowmobile.

I just used the gol as an example since it is made here as a popular car here. you ever seen one of these gols after a wreck? I think you have better chances if you get thrown out of the vehicle. Luckily this thing sits in the garage 99% of the time.

My comparison was more so with cars in the US that are now at crazy prices (and that everyone likes to complain about) but are mostly sold with a billion sensors and features that jack the price way up. A bare bones car (such as a gol) can be really not that expensive. Of course, in the US nobody would buy a gol so I guess it's a moot point. Nobody there wants a stripped down slowmobile.

You're completely wrong!!! Many would buy..... on second thought you're completely right... I forgot the US is where you have everyone who barely can survive but walks around with 1200 dollar iPhones and LV bags.

You're completely wrong!!! Many would buy..... on second thought you're completely right... I forgot the US is where you have everyone who barely can survive but walks around with 1200 dollar iPhones and LV bags.

My point exactly.

My point exactly.

It's funny. You would think most Europeans would be as bad as Americans but it's simply not the case. Europeans have mastered penny penching. It makes sense those same cars can survive in Europe but not the US.

Do Europeans have readily available the ability to finance a car for 84 months at 4%. I know argentines don't...

I think the ability to borrow cheaply has a big part in the price of the cars. If people can't finance they are forced to buy what they can afford at the time.

It's funny. You would think most Europeans would be as bad as Americans but it's simply not the case. Europeans have mastered penny penching. It makes sense those same cars can survive in Europe but not the US.

Do Europeans have readily available the ability to finance a car for 84 months at 4%. I know argentines don't...

I think the ability to borrow cheaply has a big part in the price of the cars. If people can't finance they are forced to buy what they can afford at the time.
Borrowing in Europe is incredibly cheap.
You can get a mortgage 2% or less.
Car financing in Spain, one of the more expensive EU countries to borrow, is also between 4-7% while personal loans range between 3-5%. In Germany you’re looking at 1.48% to 3% on personal or auto lending.

**Will also add that in Argentina auto financing is available interest free - that doesn’t mean its necessarily a good deal if you earn in pesos - but it’s common to find first 6-12 cuotas fixed at present values before adjustments kick in. I’d say auto financing is pretty readily available here and encouraged by the government to prop up this domestic industry.

Just because people can borrow doesn’t mean they borrow and spend without thinking, especially when you’re culture isn’t telling you to do it to be socially accepted.

Last edited:
After visiting a couple dealers you find out the cheap car aren't as cheap as posted. It's on a piece of the price. So much for that. I was willing to swallow my shallow American pride for a 5k car. Not willing to do it for a 15k bucket.

Now where was I???? Harley lol

After visiting a couple dealers you find out the cheap car aren't as cheap as posted. It's on a piece of the price. So much for that. I was willing to swallow my shallow American pride for a 5k car. Not willing to do it for a 15k bucket.

Now where was I???? Harley lol
Can you please elaborate?
Things like patent costs and taxes you’re going to need to pay anyway and they only go up with the value of the car...

All the cheap brands said the posted price is just the "anticipo" and after you have quotas. Cheapest car is 2.3 million. Then I went to Audi and said I want to buy this A1 listed at 40k USD for 4 million pesos. They said we only sell in dollars because of blah blah blah. I said ok 20k usd because I'm not paying double the value for the car. I left without a car lol.

All the cheap brands said the posted price is just the "anticipo" and after you have quotas. Cheapest car is 2.3 million. Then I went to Audi and said I want to buy this A1 listed at 40k USD for 4 million pesos. They said we only sell in dollars because of blah blah blah. I said ok 20k usd because I'm not paying double the value for the car. I left without a car lol.
Lol... https://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/ML...e-2022-0km-entrega-con-200000-y-cuotas-a--_JM
The anticipo for something like this should be $200.000 if paying on cuotas. Maybe ask a local friend to talk to them for you so they don’t assume you’re an easy “up-sell” and the cheap models are suddenly all not available. Likewise talk to a dealer that advertises prices on ML in pesos and read the description or contact them in writing in case of doubts so nothing gets “lost in translation“ (accidentally or otherwise...)

Back