Buying a Car

bradlik

Registered
Ok I need advice. I am looking at buying a car here, I am paying cash and would love some advice on how this process is carried out for Tourist Visa holders.

i will be paying in cash, but i have been told that i will need CDI to register the vehicle. What is a CDI? What are good insurance companies here too? and can you bargain down prices here?

is there also a good loction to go to to look for a used car? we have car cities at home where you could spend a day walking round, bt my argentine friends have told me there isnt really anything like that here....

any advice or pointers would be great!!!!!

bradlik said:
Ok I need advice. I am looking at buying a car here, I am paying cash and would love some advice on how this process is carried out for Tourist Visa holders.

i will be paying in cash, but i have been told that i will need CDI to register the vehicle. What is a CDI? A CDI is a Codigo de Identificacion Tributario given by the local IRS, all you need to get one is a certificado de domicilio (search the forum about it) What are good insurance companies here too? and can you bargain down prices here? I don't think you can bargain prices

is there also a good loction to go to to look for a used car? we have car cities at home where you could spend a day walking round, bt my argentine friends have told me there isnt really anything like that here....

bradlik said:

i will be paying in cash, but i have been told that i will need CDI to register the vehicle. What is a CDI? What are good insurance companies here too? and can you bargain down prices here?

My advice, DON'T do it. especially if you do not even know what a CDI is.
You will get ensnared in a web of Bureaucracy probably get ripped off, and you will DIE the first time you take it on the road.

I have friends who have happily lived here for ten years or more without a car, you will soon find that you do not need one, grow to realise you did not want one, and accept that you probably would never use one if you had it.

I don't think you need anything, exept the cash :D Make sure you have it on (or from) a bank account here, or a proof that you took it from a bank account abroud. Otherwise there will be a lot of fuss, and you will have to sign a paper stating where the money comes from.

The ACA (Automovil Club Argentino) has good rates and top-notch service. When anything goes wrong they pay up without any fuss or delay. The have many different plans, from expensive to basic, so you can pick the one that's best for you. Car dealers will offer you special prices on insurance from small carriers they have arrangements with - some of them are adequate an others are swindlers. The ACA has never let anyone down, as far as I know.

La Caja is also very good - in fact, when you buy insurance at the ACA it is actually provided by La Caja. The advantage of getting insurance from the ACA is that you get priority when you call for road service.

thank you for all the advice.
next question.....

does anybody know anyone selling a Chrysler Caravan, Grand Caravan or Pugeot 807? I am looking for something with many seats as I run a tour and transfer business here?

thanks again for your tips!!!

Okay puh-leeze tell me I've picked up the wrong end of the stick here but this is making me very nervous indeed. All the posts, from the original question onwards had lead me to believe that the OP was a tourist just looking for a holiday motor. Then I read the OP's supplimentary question (above) 'I am looking for something with many seats as I run a tour and transfer business here?'

I'm guessing if the OP only has a tourist visa and doesn't know what a CDI is that the business isn't registered or recognised in Argentina in which case I would expect any insurance company to declare any policy void at the first hint of a claim. Not too much of an issue for an English teacher 'en negro' who is unlikely to to cause much damage by conjugating a verb incorrectly but if a 16-wheeler totals the OP's vehicle with a full load of passengers aboard, who is going to settle the multi-million dollar suit?

I'm not picking on you in particular OP. Over the years I've been concerned about the people who want to offer medical services and travel services and the like who are probably more-than qualified to do so in their own country but lack recognition and registration in Argentina and so could lead their clients and themselves into deep sh*t.

tangobob said:
My advice, DON'T do it. especially if you do not even know what a CDI is.
You will get ensnared in a web of Bureaucracy probably get ripped off, and you will DIE the first time you take it on the road.

I have friends who have happily lived here for ten years or more without a car, you will soon find that you do not need one, grow to realise you did not want one, and accept that you probably would never use one if you had it.

thanks but i actually do need it for a business.

Back