Buying A Car

I bought a used Bora (2009, 40.000 kilometers on it) from a private owner and while it did require 3 trips to the registry b/c they kept wanting 1 more piece of paper (not unusual here!), it was a pretty easy process.

Hi CityGirl,
So you had go 3 times to the Motor Vehicle Registry to the tramites in order to accomplish title change to your name.
If I have to go 3 times to finish doing the Registry, I will be very tired.! But you put it as: it was a pretty an easy process!!
I worked for Toyota Motor Sales for over 35 years, seen many,many vehicle beeing regitered through USA "Motor Vehicle Departmant" therefore my experiences, and if I was buying an used vehicle from a private party, I would drag
the seller with me into the Argie Registry along. Thus no need to go back and forth if in case some paper is missing to complete the title change. After all, doesn't the previous owner sign off in many Registry papers.?

A Used VW Gol there with 40K kmts. oscilated then around $ 40,000. Used cars go up in value HERE, therefore the Insured amount goes up yearly...!!

Hello Rich One,

A 3 years old VW Bora, here in the states is a Jetta. USD$ less than 9k is way too cheap. To my thinking.
Hoping that the vehicle in question has all these option seen below.

A 09 Jetta with: Auto Trans, P/S, A/C H/V, Power windows and locks, Tilt wheel and Cruise control,
Traction control,ABS system,Stability control,Key les entry+Security system,Dual front air bags +
rear side air bags,Am/Fm Stereo Radio + single CD Disc player, and much more..
to mention a few options that comes standard in these cars sold in the states back then.
has a value with a clean car record as reported in Car fax as
Accident-free of with the value of +-
USD$11,744 with excellent condition and USD$11,344 in Very Good condition, does the ARG Bora
has all these option listed above.? I thought that,Used cars the world capital of available 2nd hand cars in USoA
the 2nd hand vehicles were priced much, much cheaper than in Argentina..? What is going on here, In ARG, the
used vehicle is cheaper priced than in the USA?? Unless, the Bora owned by _citygirl_ is a very basic with no options on it?
Let say, a Manual trans or stick-shift, no A/C, no P/S, manually cranked up - down windows etc,etc. Then it expalins the
low ARG$40k value..

Hello Rich One,

A 3 years old VW Bora, here in the states is a Jetta. USD$ less than 9k is way too cheap. To my thinking.
Hoping that the vehicle in question has all these option seen below.

Unless, the Bora owned by _citygirl_ is a very basic with no options on it?
Let say, a Manual trans or stick-shift, no A/C, no P/S, manually cranked up - down windows etc,etc. Then it expalins the
low ARG$40k value.

Actually, Rich One posted that he bought a VW Gol for $40,000 pesos.

Citygirl did not indicate how much she paid for the Bora.

If you look on a website like this-
http://www.autofoco.com/buscar-autos-volkswagen-bora.aspx?params=50|1|1|||47|261|1900|2013|||||9||||-1|false||||0|||

you can see that a late model Bora is more like $80,000 to $120,000 pesos.

There are a couple of other online used car websites like this, and even if you choose to buy from a dealer, they are good to use to research available models, which options are common, and what prices are being asked.

if you can go into the dealer already knowing that the 1.9 liter Gol is going to commonly cost almost twice what the 1.4 liter model does, for instance, your are better prepared to make choices and not get talked into a car you dont want or an overpriced one.

If you look on a website like this-
http://www.autofoco....1|false||||0|||

you can see that a late model Bora is more like $80,000 to $120,000 pesos.

There are a couple of other online used car websites like this, and even if you choose to buy from a dealer, they are good to use to research available models, which options are common, and what prices are being asked.

if you can go into the dealer already knowing that the 1.9 liter Gol is going to commonly cost almost twice what the 1.4 liter model does, for instance, your are better prepared to make choices and not get talked into a car you dont want or an overpriced one.
How late model BORA, an 09 ~ 2010 perhaps.? ARG$80k~$120k in BsAs, if those are the going rate then Yes, I understand the Argie price but the price of ARG$40k is, or I think way too good price for South America. When in the USA is going for around mid USD$11k so in Argie country it should be at least USD$18k~USD$19k or more likely. I was in Peru, Lima last year and the prices I saw there were astronomical in comparison to USA used vehicle prices.

I worked for Toyota Motor Corp for more than 35 years and finally retired..I should be opening up a " Quality Used or 2nd hand
Car-yard or lot in Bs As, I can bring in current year model Toyota cars purchased from _Toyota-Rent-A Car_, vehicles with only4~5k miles on it. With the used car prices so high over there, I possibly can make me a fortune..!!
Anyone want to become a "Car Sales Men" !! Let share the fortune to be made,part timer welcome.!!
Ha,Ha,Ha, don't take me serious, it is a joke indeed.

Actually, Rich One posted that he bought a VW Gol for $40,000 pesos.

Citygirl did not indicate how much she paid for the Bora.

Oh my, my...Pardon me, when you get as young as I am, things gets confused way deep in my brain cells. Need to excersice more,
I mean my brain, or what ever left of it.!! Thank you for correcting me.

I paid about 85.000 for a 2009 model, automatic. It's not the turbo though.

if you look on either the site I linked to , or the one Rich One linked to, you can see actual asking prices for many years, engine sizes, and models of VW- lots and lots of Boras, and, no, the new ones are nowhere near 40,000 pesos.

You may have worked for Toyota for 25 years, but that just means you got deals on new cars, and so, are out of practice buying used cars.

Buying a used car always means doing your homework, looking at lots of models and makes, and finding the best price on the latest model, lowest mileage car you can.If you fixate on a single model or make, you might miss a good deal on a less popular, but equally good car- Cars often are priced according to fashion and fad and whats in the latest music video or Fast and Furious movie- and there are silly price differentials between similar cars due to popularity that is not related to utility.

If it was me, I would be looking at all the amazing vintage cars available here- its not like the USA, where many people routinely put 25,000 to 50,000 miles on a car every year- in the CF, you might only put a few thousand miles on a car a year, and could get away with a fussier car with more character- there are great old Fiats here, for example, and lots of mechanics who know how to fix them-
Personally, I would probably buy a Rastrojero, but I am an old truck or sportscar guy- not a sensible car type.

I love the Fiat 1600 sport coupe, for example, non-existent in the states, rare but findable here- a classic little fastback
.http://auto.mercadol...-inmaculada-_JM
Lots more classics here like that- 60's and 70's cars that are pure unobtainum in the USA, fun, cheap, and good looking.Or, you could buy the latest VW, the one they make thirty million a year of. Reliable, Boring.

I've had a car here for about 4 years, haven't been allowed to take it out of the country being a foreigner, but recently got my temporary residency DNI.. anyone know if this will let me cross the border of Argentina? I'm planning a road trip outside the country, and assume that the temporary DNI will let me take it out, but a little worried as it didn't work for getting a mobile phone contract (being a temporary DNI).
Anyone know about this?

Back