Buying A Car

Sigh.. for various reasons, I'm going to have to sell my car in the next few months to buy an SUV. If anyone is interested in a 2009 VW Bora, automatic, had all the services done, everything documented and is in great condition with (currently) about 62.000 kilometers, send me a PM. I'm not selling it today but will be looking to sell over the next few months.

And damn, I am already dreading the new car shopping.

Sigh.. for various reasons, I'm going to have to sell my car in the next few months to buy an SUV. If anyone is interested in a 2009 VW Bora, automatic, had all the services done, everything documented and is in great condition with (currently) about 62.000 kilometers, send me a PM. I'm not selling it today but will be looking to sell over the next few months.

And damn, I am already dreading the new car shopping.

Hi citygirl,
Isn't better and advantagious for any person in Argentina seeking to acquire a vehicle, let say in the USoA and import over to Argentina.?
The purchase price is much,much cheaper,here in the states. Then add the shipping fee, then pay the local Argentinean Tax, etc. There is no sales Tax in the states if that vehicle you purchase is for Export..So therefore much better deal for you. Besides, you will be getting the most advanced safety and luxury feature on the vehicle made for sale in America..Anyone here in the forum has previous experiences abound.?
I am curious to find out?

Right off the bat, shipping a nice car from the States is going to have issues related to getting the car serviced when something fails. It's hard enough now for cars manufactured here due to import restrictions. Hell, at one point the Fiat plant shut down production due to import problems. I don't know about things like oil and air filters (simple maintenance items), if what is available here would fit cars brought from the States.

The other thing is the bother to get it done, particularly now import restrictions. Getting anything through customs of that cost and size isn't going to be easy.

I know a couple, he's American and she's Argentine, who lived in the States for years and decided to come back here about two years ago. They went through and got residency and he imported the goods under his residency. According to the lawyer they used, they were well within their rights to import the goods, within a time limit (I believe it was 6 months) under residency laws without paying import duties. However, when the container arrived the officials at the port wouldn't release the items without them paying import duties. They were not presented with an invoice, it was a nice round number that came from the official's mouth with whom they were dealing. They refused to pay, told the guy they knew they could import stuff duty free, but he just shrugged his shoulders and said "you can go get a lawyer, you can fight this, but in the meantime you're going to be paying $200 a day for storage while you work that out. Take your pick."

They settled on about 50% of the guy's original asking price.

I don't see the advantage in time and money for importing a car here. Unless I had so much money that I could just tell someone to go get it done for me, don't worry about the cost, and then be presented with an accomplished fact when it was ready to drive, I'd never do it.

Hi citygirl,
Isn't better and advantagious for any person in Argentina seeking to acquire a vehicle, let say in the USoA and import over to Argentina.?
The purchase price is much,much cheaper,here in the states. Then add the shipping fee, then pay the local Argentinean Tax, etc. There is no sales Tax in the states if that vehicle you purchase is for Export..So therefore much better deal for you. Besides, you will be getting the most advanced safety and luxury feature on the vehicle made for sale in America..Anyone here in the forum has previous experiences abound.?
I am curious to find out?

This is theoretically possible- but nowhere near as cheap or easy as you think.
Generally speaking, figure 100% duty on the Argentine Government's idea of what the retail price should be. NOT what you paid.
Then, add in shipping, customs, storage, licensing, and a variety of other fees-
And you will find that you will pay in the vicinity of 250% of new retail in the USA for your car, by the time you are driving it on the streets of Buenos Aires.
There is a reason you dont see more Porsches and Hummers in BsAs.

Just seeing this, everyone else explained it better than I could. Importing a car isn't realistic. And while it chafes me to no end to contemplate how much money I'm going to have to spend on an SUV here, it is the only viable option.

Anyone can buy a car. You'll need cash, your passport and a CDI (it's a "tax" ID code given to foreigners without residency when doing something that would normally require a worker's tax ID). You can go to an ANSES location (for your area) and get one pretty easily.

Hi Elqueso, can you or anybody tell me if you need a DNI for the CDI? And where I can find it on the ANSES website (sorry my Spanish is not yet good enough).

Thanks!!

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

No need for a DNI to get a CDI. Just go to the AFIP branch near your house, bring your passport (if I recall, a Certificado de domicilio is needed too?) and you'll have your DNI number.

You don't get a CDI at ANSES, you get it at AFIP.

Pascal, you don't need a DNI for a CDI. In fact, it's the one ID related to taxes and such that you don't need one for and is for foreigners who need to do things like buy a car and need a tax Id number.

I don't know that you can get one online. The CUIL you can, but obviously you need a DNI for that.

I may have made a mistake on saying it was ANSES - I would have sworn that that's where I went after going to AFIP and them telling me I had to go to ANSES. However, that was more than 5 years ago now and my memory surely may be faulty on that point.

Here's a link that tells you how to get it, and it points to an AFIP office:

http://www.argentina...ación---cdi.php

However, the problem is you are going to have to have some Spanish I think to ask and understand the questions. Looks like on that site I linked to you can print out the form you need to fill out, but that page seems to indicate you can't do the process online. Maybe if you print the form out, fill it in, and take it to the AFIP office indicated, they can point you in the right direction.

For non-resident foreigners, they only indicate you need a passport, they don't mention anything about a certificado domicilio, but that doesn't mean it isn't required - I can't count the number of times I've done something where the requirements aren't clearly spelled out, or have changed.

Pascal, you don't need a DNI for a CDI. In fact, it's the one ID related to taxes and such that you don't need one for and is for foreigners who need to do things like buy a car and need a tax Id number.

I don't know that you can get one online. The CUIL you can, but obviously you need a DNI for that.

I may have made a mistake on saying it was ANSES - I would have sworn that that's where I went after going to AFIP and them telling me I had to go to ANSES. However, that was more than 5 years ago now and my memory surely may be faulty on that point.

Here's a link that tells you how to get it, and it points to an AFIP office:

http://www.argentina...ación---cdi.php

However, the problem is you are going to have to have some Spanish I think to ask and understand the questions. Looks like on that site I linked to you can print out the form you need to fill out, but that page seems to indicate you can't do the process online. Maybe if you print the form out, fill it in, and take it to the AFIP office indicated, they can point you in the right direction.

For non-resident foreigners, they only indicate you need a passport, they don't mention anything about a certificado domicilio, but that doesn't mean it isn't required - I can't count the number of times I've done something where the requirements aren't clearly spelled out, or have changed.

I needed my passport, and a certificado de domicilio issued by the Police Station, I applied at Carlos Pelegrini (9 de Julio) near Cordoba AFIP offices.

The Certificado de Domicilio is definitively required. I went yesterday to apply for my CDI and was asked for it immediately, even though there's no mention of it on the website. Go figure.

Back