Buying a new car

I don't think the luxury auto tax applies to trucks since they consider them work vehicles.
Thats an interesting point. I always wondered why there are so many pickups on the streets in Buenos Aires. Whereas on the countryside it may make sense, they are just not made for urban environment (too big, bad for road safety and certainly also for ecological reasons).

Just an anecdotal point: When we had the work done in our house, the "master builder" also had a pick up. For him it made sense to transport his stuff with the pick up. He told me though, that it was not possible for him to buy a small transporter (with a bit more capacity) because that would have brought problems with the sindicato de camioneros (they apparently have the monopoly as of a certain size).

Another reason I chose the gol was for repair simplicity and part availability. To me the much more valuable aspect is that it won't be a hassle to deal with when something happens.

This thing doesn't even have cruise control

Last edited:
AR hilux vs US tacoma? That's definitely not an apples to apples.

Yes but they sell for similar prices in the Markets that offer both.

Equivalent Hilux models are about $10k cheaper in Argentina than the Tacoma in the USA at the blue rate. Plus the diesel engines are about 3-4.5k premium in the few small pickups that offer them in the USA.

I don't know how difficult they are to purchase at the suggested price. Maybe it is just an imaginary number that the dealership then marks up. I'm sure I am missing something.

I'm not sure if the dealerships will accept an international wire transfer, as it's not exactly the same as a normal CBU transfer. This hasn't worked for me in the past with other purchases.

If you are a resident/ are able to open an argentine bank account, the best option is to wire yourself money via Western Union and then pay at the dealership via bank transfer.

I'm currently buying a used car and private parties want cash. I'm buying with my Argentine boyfriend who has a banco Macro account, so I ended up sending him various Western Union bank transfers (as advised in previous thread here). However, when we tried to withdraw at the cash at the bank, they said we needed to prove that we were a couple (had to get police verification that we live together) and I had to provide proof of income and documentation of my bank account and transfers to be able to withdraw. Apparently if I had gone to an escribano and declared the money as a donation to my boyfriend, that would have sufficed. Ultimately I was able to do so, but they gave us the very large sum in 100 peso bills that filled an entire backpack.

Anyway good luck, let us know what you find out!
Sounds like a lot of work. I have a US bank account that has branches in Argentina (Citibank) and my Argentinian friend is supposed to wire me some money but he's asking for my CBU number. Is there a way I can get one that is tied to my US account? I'm not in BA this time of year so I can't just visit my BA branch. And he doesn't want to use MercadoPago, Giros, or Cobro. Any ideas how I can get a CBU for him? Who would know? Who should I talk to? Any help would be great.

I believe he can wire you the money without a fee using Western Union's bank transfer option. (The reverse of what I do sending money from my US bank account to my partner's Argentine account). He'll need to download the WU app and create an account, link his bank account, and input your info as the recipient. I've never sent from arg to US but I'm assuming it's possible given that WU operates here in argentina for domestic transfers...

We're looking to buy an SUV with room for 2 carseats and my suegra. What's the best option in getting cash here? This is a bit of an expensive care and i have the savings in USD abroad but i gotta move it in to pay for it.

Somewhat considering asking if we can do part of the transaction in an abroad account or btc to save on the exchange.

Sounds like a lot of work. I have a US bank account that has branches in Argentina (Citibank) and my Argentinian friend is supposed to wire me some money but he's asking for my CBU number. Is there a way I can get one that is tied to my US account? I'm not in BA this time of year so I can't just visit my BA branch. And he doesn't want to use MercadoPago, Giros, or Cobro. Any ideas how I can get a CBU for him? Who would know? Who should I talk to? Any help would be great.
I don't know of any US bank that has a reciprocal relationship with its branch in Argentina. I called HSBC, Santander, and BBVA and they all treat the Argentina branch as a completely separate entity. Maybe UBS has some leeway? FYI, i don't think citibank actually has branches in argentina any more. they have like a service center here but that's about it.

We're looking to buy an SUV with room for 2 carseats and my suegra. What's the best option in getting cash here? This is a bit of an expensive care and i have the savings in USD abroad but i gotta move it in to pay for it.

Somewhat considering asking if we can do part of the transaction in an abroad account or btc to save on the exchange.
Do you or your wife have an argentine bank account?

Sounds like a lot of work. I have a US bank account that has branches in Argentina (Citibank)......
From what I know, the local Citibank is NOT a branch but a totally independent entity with the same name. We discovered that after opening an account there.

Back