Buying car, travelling to Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia

Tykel68

Registered
We're leaving BA for two and a half months and going to Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Columbia and Northern Argentina on the way of course. We're thinking of buying a Land Rover Defender or similar to this http://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-137934142-land-rover-defender-tdi-110-country-99-impecable-_JM I have it on good authority that they keep their value so we'll sell when we get back.

We have the obvious option of flying but the cash we save is fairly large and we love being on the road, you see lots more and obviously can just go where you want. It's a big decision for us though. I'm looking at a Land Rover Defender this week.

I have a few questions:

1. I'm on a holiday visa so is it possible for me to purchase a vehicle? If not is it possible to put in a resident of Argentina's name and them insure it for me to drive (in other countries)?

2. Does anyone know how much you pay to enter these countries and is it straightforward?

3. We've heard that Southern Colombia is dangerous so we'll fly from Quito if we go. Has anyone any knowledge of car parks in Quito where we could leave the vehicle safely? I guess at Quito airport?

4. I grew up on a farm and we always had a Land Rover. They went forever but we always had the old ones, like 1970's. I've no first hand knowledge of these newer (1990's most likely) vehicles, does anyone here have any advice they would care to pass on? We need it to be reliable as all I did was break things on the farm:) I'm not great at anything more mechanical than oils/ wheel/ fan belt changes, so need to be pretty sure it won't break down. I realise it is a possibility and will always have this in mind when going anywhere. Can anyone recommend any safety precautions or vehicle recovery services? I'm thinking it's unlikely there is recovery services in those countries?

5. We're thinking of getting a long wheel base one and altering the 'back' interior so we can sometimes sleep in there, on remote beaches and off the road remote areas. We'll only do this when we consider it safe. Anyone have knowledge of doing this or sleeping in a vehicle in South America? Any tips? We had a van in Europe for 2 years and always 'free camped' next to a river, beach or other, million dollar view spot, was awesome, we didn't stay at one campsite in 2 years and 26 countries, but saying that we might consider it here if recommended (most of the time we'll get nice hotels or hostels.

6. I'm guessing we should get sims for our phones in each of the countries rather than use our Arg phones? I have pay as you go with Claro atm. Also does anyone know if any of these countries are particularly bad for internetet. We just need to monitor email at least once a week.

7. Where to go? We work on the internet so need wifi most days. Bearing this in mind does anyone have any must do's in those countries. We like wildlife, beaches, cultural towns, cities and monuments, good museums and art galleries. Also want to have some (first ever) volcano action. We have Galapagos and Machu Picchu in as certainties but not much else. We also like to eat good food so any stand out restaurants would also be great. Any experiences would be more than welcome.

Sorry for all the questions. If you only have some info for one please send through, I realise it's a lot of Q's so appreciate any short answers to any of them.

Cheers for your kindness in reading my lengthy email :)

If you were planning to do be down here for a year, it might be worth it. But for two and a half months, no way.

You will consumed with a sea of paperwork and bureaucracy, not just in purchasing the vehicle, but in crossing boarders with it, selling it, getting the cash in and out of the country, taxes, etc etc

Unfortunately this isn't like in the US where you could buy a used car in a few hours, get a temporary insurance plan, cross some boarders like Canada and Mexico, then sell it and be on your way.

Here the entire experience is a total migraine. You'd be much better off taking the bus and maybe renting cars here and there. You'll save yourself a hell of a lot of trouble and you will actually get to enjoy your trip!

Tykel68 said:
Sorry for all the questions. If you only have some info for one please send through, I realise it's a lot of Q's so appreciate any short answers to any of them.

Cheers for your kindness in reading my lengthy email :)

Here's a short answer:

DON'T DO IT!

ESPECIALLY sleeping in your vehicle...ANYWHERE in SOUTH AMERICA!

(Some areas could be safe but it's impossible to know for sure.)

I would say do it as the trip sounds great, but don't buy the car in Argentina (for its cretinous bureaucracy).
I've had a car I bought here in Buenos Aires four years ago, was pretty easy buying it, all I needed was a CDI number as I remember. The issue though is when you want to go on road trips out of Argentina - I first discovered this on a trip to Brazil a couple of years ago. We arrived at the boarder of Argentina/ Uruguay at Concordia and after searching my papers they said I couldnt take my car out of the country as I'm not a resident of Argentina. It really pissed me off as there's no reasoning for it and i'd paid a lot of money for the car, but they told me there's no way i can take it out without a dni.
We worked our way round the problem by driving to the local town and getting a notary to make a power of attorney for my girlfriend (who's Argentine) to say i authorize her to take it out.
Apart from that though, no problems, but if you buy the car in say Uruguay or Chile you might avoid this issue/ having to deal with such primitive bureaucracy as Argentina. Also someone mentioned used cars are cheaper in Chile (although not sure about this).

This is just my opinion.

I think sleeping in your vehicle is a very bad idea.

Use public transportation and stay in hotels.

Many people travel around South America sleeping in tents or in their vehicles. It is perfectly safe. As for what type of vehicle you should buy and where you should buy it, please see the website forum Horizons Unlimited.

Thanks for the replies. Have done some research. I read this on the Lonely Planet , at the bottom it links to http://wikioverland.org/Argentina. It looks like it's best buying in Chile. We're thinking we'll stay in campsites most of the time I think. Awesome for replying, still keen to hear other peoples opinions.

Sorry forgot link to LP forum, here it is: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1486332

this is the last article dated 22nd Jan 2012:

-------
Hey Guys,

I spent two years driving from Alaska to Argentina, through 17 countries including Chile, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador.

I absolutely recommend it, it's a great way to get out into the hard to reach places.

Checkout WikiOverland, the encyclopedia of Overland Travel which contains everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a those countries like border crossings and paperwork, gas prices, bribery, camping, maps and much more.
There is a page for each country you mention, like for example Bolivia Overland Travel

Good luck! Have fun

I bought my car in Chile a year ago
Just on a tourist visa

You need to get a RUT number, which is really easy to get
and then you can do whatever you want
For the car retailers, if you intend to wire your money, make sure they work with a bank like Santaner

If you need any info feel free to contact me
I got a Mitsubishi MOntero Sport which is pretty common over there
It's a diesel, highly recommended as the cost of fuel in certain countries (brazil) is pretty high

However, I would not recommend travelling with a car for just 2 months and a half
it's pretty short and travelling by bus is much easier and less tiring

cheers

Tykel68 said:
Thanks for the replies. Have done some research. I read this on the Lonely Planet , at the bottom it links to http://wikioverland.org/Argentina. It looks like it's best buying in Chile. We're thinking we'll stay in campsites most of the time I think. Awesome for replying, still keen to hear other peoples opinions.

Sorry forgot link to LP forum, here it is: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1486332

this is the last article dated 22nd Jan 2012:

-------
Hey Guys,

I spent two years driving from Alaska to Argentina, through 17 countries including Chile, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador.

I absolutely recommend it, it's a great way to get out into the hard to reach places.

Checkout WikiOverland, the encyclopedia of Overland Travel which contains everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a those countries like border crossings and paperwork, gas prices, bribery, camping, maps and much more.
There is a page for each country you mention, like for example Bolivia Overland Travel

Good luck! Have fun

Haha, I'm impressed you found that.
That's me :)

I drove my little Jeep TJ from Alaska to Argentina, and became active on these forums when I was in BA (more that once).
I blogged for my entire journey at http://theroadchoseme.com

As you found on from WikiOverland, the encyclopedia of Overland Travel , buying a car in Argentina is not advisable as you won't be able to take it out of the country.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

-Dan

Back