Buying dollars legally.

nlaruccia

Registered
I'm traveling to the States and Afip granted me permission to buy dollars legally. I'll to have them transferred into my Argentine bank account in dollars. Does anyone know if I can withdraw them from the ATM in Buenos Aires, or can I withdraw the funds in the U.S.? Or are they so controlling that they only allow you to spend them abroad using my debit card linked to my bank account?

I'm assuming you have a USD account that you are transferring them to, because otherwise they will be converted to pesos.

You are allowed to withdraw money only from your USD account abroad, you won't be able to withdraw from your pesos account. Some people have supposedly had luck though when paying with debit at stores and selecting their pesos account and the transaction goes through -- i'm not sure as to how recently this was working though.

You can withdraw USD from your USD account here in Argentina as well.

Let me clarify. I think I didn't explain clearly. I have an account in dollars in Argentina. I'm allowed to buy dollars legally since I'm traveling to the U.S. I'm buying them for my Argentine friend. I know that the news laws allow you to buy dollars at the official rate via bank transfer. I would have to go to Banco la Nacion, or Banco Provincia or some public bank and have the dollars transferred to my Argentine bank account in dollars. Nothing goes through the U.S. nor my U.S. bank accounts. My questions is, once I buy them and they are transferred into my Argentine dollar account, can I go to an ATM in Buenos Aires and withdraw the money? Or do I have to withdraw the dollars in the U.S. from a U.S. ATM? Or is the government so controlling they don't allow either? Which means forcing me to use my Argentine debit card that's linked to my Argentine dollar account in the U.S. to make purchases withdrawing from the account and in essence forcing me to spend the dollars rather than allowing me to withdraw the cash.

kidinmn said:
Let me clarify. I think I didn't explain clearly. I have an account in dollars in Argentina. I'm allowed to buy dollars legally since I'm traveling to the U.S. I'm buying them for my Argentine friend. I know that the news laws allow you to buy dollars at the official rate via bank transfer. I would have to go to Banco la Nacion, or Banco Provincia or some public bank and have the dollars transferred to my Argentine bank account in dollars. Nothing goes through the U.S. nor my U.S. bank accounts. My questions is, once I buy them and they are transferred into my Argentine dollar account, can I go to an ATM in Buenos Aires and withdraw the money? Or do I have to withdraw the dollars in the U.S. from a U.S. ATM? Or is the government so controlling they don't allow either? Which means forcing me to use my Argentine debit card that's linked to my Argentine dollar account in the U.S. to make purchases withdrawing from the account and in essence forcing me to spend the dollars rather than allowing me to withdraw the cash.

Once you have it in your USD account you can withdraw them from the ATM here like normal. If you don't travel, you'll be required to return the foreign currency.

I'm on the phone with Citibank and besides the constancia de inscripcion, which I already have, they need a constancia de ingresos brutos and I went into the AFIP and Rentas webpage to print it out and got completely lost. I'm IVA exento, not a monotributista. Any ideas?

For a company (and I am suspect individuals are the same) you have to register under the Ingresos Brutos system and pay a % of your facturacion to the province where you do business. If you haven´t done this tramite, I suspect you will need to do so before you can get a Constancia. I think its at Rentas, as you say that you have to present yourself to register. Not sure, my accountant did it.

Back