buying gold

Thereandbackagain said:
You can buy physical Gold at most of the banks here, e.g. Supervielle:
http://oro.supervielle.com.ar/

Nevertheless I would not recommend it since purity is questionable. In the "civilised" countries you ahve a standard of 99,9% purity for an ingot. The coins here often only have 90% / 95% etc. which could make it difficult to sell in another place than argentina. Plus, the prices are very high. Maybe you should go to the US or Europe to buy...I did not buy anything here because IMHO Banks here are not trustworthy.

purity would not be a factor as you would not be purchasing any argentine coins. you would be buying south african krugerands, mexican libertads, canadian maples...etc. each coin contains one ounce of pure gold(libertad has 1.2). in some cases, there may be other metals such as copper or zinc mixed in to strengthen the coin since gold is so soft. i believe the maple leaf and the panda are 99,9% pure.

from what i've seen, you will pay between a 5% to 10% commission here when buying/selling, just depends on demand. looking at the link you sent, they are selling a krugerand for about $90 over spot, which is roughly a little more than 5%.

Greg2231 said:
while you can probally buy gold with pesos, the cost of it in Pesos is not going to be atractive, you would be better off just buying dollars at 5.65 or whatever the Blue rate is if you are looking to get your money out of the country.

as of about a month ago you could buy gold from banco piano with pesos at the official rate. there is an arbitrage opportunity here if they are still allowing this.

Thanks for all the suggestions/discussion. A lot to think about. Keep 'em coming!

nikad said:
Afip considers gold as foreign currency so you have to be authorized by them to buy it. http://www.cronista.com/contenidos/2012/03/01/noticia_0037.html

this makes sense when taking into consideration the capital flight controls that are currently in place. the only alternative for most people is to use the black market. i have a contact with a local cueva that is reliable not only for buying gold but also for sending/receiving funds to/from argentina. if anybody is interested just send me a PM.

Supperville Banco (cannot post link but see above) 1oz Maple offer price of USD1588 quoted with today's date is suspiciously low. US retailer is around USD1633. Has someone actually made a purchase from Superville Banco and could describe the process?

Back