buying gold

DONT DO,,you can put that cash in a money belt and never worry...with gold you will get stopped, taxed and no telling what else.

Bill.Cochabamba said:
DONT DO,,you can put that cash in a money belt and never worry...with gold you will get stopped, taxed and no telling what else.

The pesos are worthless outside of Argentina, that's why he's looking for another option.

Bill.Cochabamba said:

bill your post is exaggerating just a little bit. there is no limit on the amount of gold you can carry and there is no tax, at least for the united states. it must be declared however.

in this case, since he cannot buy dollars at a good rate, he is better off buying gold with his pesos, then selling for dollars when he arrives to the states.

redrum said:
bill your post is exaggerating just a little bit. there is no limit on the amount of gold you can carry and there is no tax, at least for the united states. it must be declared however.

in this case, since he cannot buy dollars at a good rate, he is better off buying gold with his pesos, then selling for dollars when he arrives to the states.

They will not sell you gold in pesos at any reputable place.

nikad said:
They will not sell you gold in pesos at any reputable place.

that's not true. banco piano sells gold in pesos. at least they did up until about a month ago. i'm not sure about monthly limitations on the amount one can buy.

private party is another option but you need to know what you're doing.

There has only been one post that saw that pointed out there are currencies you CAN buy here that are just as good as US$. Try the Chilean Peso, Real ior Uruguayan Peso. all are fully convertable. It likely means converting your money twice, which is less than idea, but it is simple. As for gold, from what I know about buillion, the service charges will eat it up on both ends of the transaction.

You can buy physical Gold at most of the banks here, e.g. Supervielle:
http://oro.supervielle.com.ar/

Nevertheless I would not recommend it since purity is questionable. In the "civilised" countries you ahve a standard of 99,9% purity for an ingot. The coins here often only have 90% / 95% etc. which could make it difficult to sell in another place than argentina. Plus, the prices are very high. Maybe you should go to the US or Europe to buy...I did not buy anything here because IMHO Banks here are not trustworthy.

Interesting to see there are still gold-bugs out there. There was at one time a lot of people on this site recommending gold. It's got hammered pretty hard the last six months but old habits die hard.

redrum said:
that's not true. banco piano sells gold in pesos. at least they did up until about a month ago. i'm not sure about monthly limitations on the amount one can buy.

private party is another option but you need to know what you're doing.
I think the better way to say it is you will not be able to buy gold at the NY or London spot rates with pesos converted at the official rate, while you can probally buy gold with pesos, the cost of it in Pesos is not going to be atractive, you would be better off just buying dollars at 5.65 or whatever the Blue rate is if you are looking to get your money out of the country.

Also you are not going to be able to buy Chilean pesos or Brazilian Real, at the official rates, you ae going to have to pay somewhere aroumd 30% over the official exchange rate, as you need AFIP approval to buy any foriegn currency at the official rate, not just Dollars.

Your only option would be if you have an Argentine Credit Card, then you could use that abroad in a number of ways(PayPal), and pay the bill here with Pesos

If you want to get your pesos out I would think Gregs option with the Argentina CC (if you have one, or can get one) is probably the safest and most effective way.

Back