Buying new car with US $

Gringo80

Registered
I picked out a new car. The salesman told me that I can pay for it by depositing US$ their US account. Now the dealers admins are saying that it's not possible, they can only accept pesos that are already in Argentina plus the transaction must be approved by AFIP.
My funds are in the US and I don't want to involve AFIP. Any suggestions?
Should I look at used car private party sales or will that involve AFIP too?

I picked out a new car. The salesman told me that I can pay for it by depositing US$ their US account. Now the dealers admins are saying that it's not possible, they can only accept pesos that are already in Argentina plus the transaction must be approved by AFIP.
Payment terms vary from dealer to dealer , try another dealership.Also payment terms on new cars are subject recent legislation. Private party sales have many downfalls. Such as Garantia , Etc.

In 2020 we bought a car zero km, paying with a bag full of peso (it was the equivalent of 11 or 12k USD at that time). No questions asked. Not sure whether these "AFIP rules" are different from dealer to dealer or whether they have changed the rules since then.

I bought a vehicle from Abasto Motors in puerto madero in November 2021 for around $37k USD. As I mentioned in a previous post, I wired the funds to the dealers USA Bank of America account. I paid the transfer fees (it was an already “patentado” 0km) of about 6% in peso cash at the dealer. Since the vehicle was about a certain price point, my local accountant had to file some AFIP paperwork certifying the legitimate origin of the funds (the dealers people and my accountant communicated directly about what was needed). The entire process was easy and the dealer advertises on social media, mercado libre etc that they willing accept payment in USD via their USA bank account.

How long did the process take for those who purchased from a dealer, From deposit to driving away?

Has anyone purchased from an individual and have experience with la transferencia?
How long did that take from start to finish?
Trying to weigh the option of doing it myself or hiring a gestor, any experience? In Provinica de BsA

Strongly against buying from a private party due to: language, Garantia, Odometer turned back, unreliable maintenance records, previous traffic violations records in CABA and elsewhere. Leans against the car. Previous accidents. Etc. researching all the above info can be time consuming and hard to get for a Foreigner..

Buying from a dealership (a used vehicle) delay depends on how long they take to investigate and obtain violations records, previous owners, deed, plus the info you must provide like CUIL or AFIP info. They provide a folder with all the documentation to register your vehicle.

Last edited:
As far as AFIP is concerned, there's a limit of 2.4 million Pesos, above which you need to justify the origins of the funds used. See https://www.argentina.gob.ar/notici...ferencias-de-vehiculos-alcanzadas-por-el-ceta there are lots of articles in the press about this as well from last year.

If you're buying from a dealer, they should provide an "Informe Dominio" with basic legal information on the car (loans, fines, theft, legal actions in progress, etc). You need to check everything else out yourself, so apart from a test drive, get a mechanic to check it out, make sure they check out the engine codes with an OBD reader as well. I'm not sure if the ACA can do this.

And finally, the dealer should be able to arrange the change of ownership title, they would normally have a lawyer on call. Then once the car is yours, you need to take care of insurance as well as things like the car inspections (VTV), certification of origin of parts (RTO) as they fall due.

Deposit to driving away took a few hours (including the visit to the lawyers to change the ownership title), and it took about 2 weeks for the "cedula verde" to arrive.

Last edited:
As far as AFIP is concerned, there's a limit of 2.4 million Pesos, above which you need to justify the origins of the funds used. See https://www.argentina.gob.ar/notici...ferencias-de-vehiculos-alcanzadas-por-el-ceta there are lots of articles in the press about this as well from last year.

If you're buying from a dealer, they should provide an "Informe Dominio" with basic legal information on the car (loans, fines, theft, legal actions in progress, etc). You need to check everything else out yourself, so apart from a test drive, get a mechanic to check it out, make sure they check out the engine codes with an OBD reader as well. I'm not sure if the ACA can do this.

And finally, the dealer should be able to arrange the change of ownership title, they would normally have a lawyer on call. Then once the car is yours, you need to take care of insurance as well as things like the car inspections (VTV), certification of origin of parts (RTO) as they fall due.

Deposit to driving away took a few hours (including the visit to the lawyers to change the ownership title), and it took about 2 weeks for the "cedula verde" to arrive.
Great info, thanks
And you can drive without cedula verde?

Back