Buying Real Estate in BA

Very odd that the fee is paid by the buyer as opposed to by the seller. Or maybe that's just because I'm used to the opposite!

In Argentina a commission always paid by the buyer unless he/she buys directly form the seller. Brokers almost always take their commission at the "boleta" (which usually occurs within a couple weeks after the offer is accepted) at which the buyer usually pays the seller 30% of the purchase price and both the buyer and seller pay whatever real estate commission is due to the broker.

PS: Based on what I was told as I bought and sold property in the past, if the seller does not follow through and actually sell the property, he/she will owe the buyer double what they paid at the boleta and if the buyer fails to complete the purchase, they will lose all sums previously paid..

Last edited:
PS to my previous post: The closing usually occurs within 30 days of the boleta. The delay is to give the seller time to buy another property.

When I sold my first apartment, I found the next one I wanted to buy before the boleta and we had ä double boltea at the same time and place. The buyer of my apartment paid 30% of the purchase price for my place and I paid 30% of the purchase price to the seller of the apartment I was buying. We repeated this procedure at the closing. I received the balance due from the sale of my apartment and used those funds to pay the seller of the apartment I was buying (and I moved in that afternoon).

In Argentina a commission always paid by the buyer unless he/she buys directly form the seller. Brokers almost always take their commission at the "boleta" (which usually occurs within a couple weeks after the offer is accepted) at which the buyer usually pays the seller 30% of the purchase price and both the buyer and seller pay whatever real estate commission is due to the broker.

PS: Based on what I was told as I bought and sold property in the past, if the seller does not follow through and actually sell the property, he/she will owe the buyer double what they paid at the boleta and if the buyer fails to complete the purchase, they will lose all sums previously paid..
Excellent info, thank you!

Someone that intends to stay for life , makes sense to buy..1

Things to Consider for resale value..

1. All electric or Gas appliances
  2. Front, Rear or Pulmon
  3. Higher floors less desirable due to Blackouts
  4. Building Age
  5. Listing of Expensa amount & Overdue Expensas.
  6. Location, Location, Location
  7. 2 Ambientes will sell faster
  8. Check in Zonaprop for Apts. for Sale in the location you selected
  9. Security 24 hrs.
  10. Close to subway line D
  11. Small buildings have High Expensas

Someone that intends to stay for life , makes sense to buy..1

Things to Consider for resale value..

1. All electric or Gas appliances
  2. Front, Rear or Pulmon
  3. Higher floors less desirable due to Blackouts
  4. Building Age
  5. Listing of Expensa amount & Overdue Expensas.
  6. Location, Location, Location
  7. 2 Ambientes will sell faster
  8. Check in Zonaprop for Apts. for Sale in the location you selected
  9. Security 24 hrs.
  10. Close to subway line D
  11. Small buildings have High Expensas

Ecellent list....! I'll just add:
12. First floor apartments undesirable - easier access to burglars, climbing exterior walls.
13. For Northern hemisphere expats, keep in mind that down here a NORTHERN exposure is preferred. South means looking towards the Antartida......! East gets the morning sun, North gets the noon sun, West gets the afternoon scorching sun. South gets no sun at all.

There sure seems to be a lot of pre construction units available. This is usually a good indication that the market is in good shape... But from what I'm reading, it's not.

Any insight into the health of the market would be appreciated!

There sure seems to be a lot of pre construction units available. This is usually a good indication that the market is in good shape... But from what I'm reading, it's not.

Any insight into the health of the market would be appreciated!

If you search the words "real estate market" you will find threads like these:

Back