Buying Reales With Pesos

Commodorius

Registered
Hi guys,
I'm going to Brazil over the holiday season and I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience either buying reales here in BsAs (which, as I understand it is the same as trying to get dollars) or converting pesos to reales once in Brazil.

Thoughts?

Buying any foreign currency legally is subject to approval of AFIP -- doesn't matter if it's USD, BPS, Euros, Yuan, or Reales. If you can't get approval by AFIP (if you're not registered here for instance), you're not going to be able to buy them legally. If you're not registered here as a resident, I'm not sure how it will work, since you are supposed to only be able to buy as many dollars as you bring in or some bizarre formula that they will invent on the spot for you.... Uruguay is trying to preserve their tourism season by assuring Argentines that their pesos will be accepted and they'll get all sorts of discounts using cards. I assume if you go to spots in Brasil that are popular with Argentines it would be the same. I also assume that you will be able to exchange pesos at a cambio in the airport when you arrive there etc. Not 100% so with luck someone else from the forum will travel there before you and can let you know.

Thanks, but I was aware of the legal situation. To clarify: I want to know if anyone has recent experience getting reales outside of the official government jerk-around, or had success buying them in Brazil with pesos--as you mention , in the airport or casa de cambio, etc...).

Back