Caja fuerte in a bank

Hi

I'm back with this dilemma. I'm not able to transfer the proceeds of the sale of my apartment to my account in Europe. Apparently if I had a dollar acct in my home bank I could but I can't make any progress re this with my own bank. Everyone says I should get them out o the argentine but I find putting it ino some safety box so alien and it doesn't fill me with confidence. So I can take 10 grand home with me but the rest I'll have to leave in a security box. Would people recommend a bank over privately owned security house. It goes without saying everything has risk. I get that any advice would be greatly apreciated
Can’t you just set up a dollar account online with someone like N26 or Revolut banks in EU?

Be forewarned that during 2001 they raided security deposit boxes also. If you have a significant amount of money put it either in another country or hide it somewhere where only you can find inside your home.

Be forewarned that during 2001 they raided security deposit boxes also. If you have a significant amount of money put it either in another country or hide it somewhere where only you can find inside your home.
This is not true.

Not true at all. They have never raided security boxes in Argentine history, not even in 2001. That's why they're so popular.

Can I use revolut in Argentina
You can set it up from anywhere in the world using the app, but you need an EU address and EU ID card or passport. With that you will get an account with an IBAN and you can set up additional currency accounts/ vaults that should give you a specific IBAN for that one.
Once you have the IBAN for your USD account, you can try sending a small amount from your Argentine bank to that one to see if it arrives and if all goes well, start transferring.

Just check the operating / transfer/ balance limits for your Revolut products beforehand to make sure it will work for you.

I notice Wise has not been mentioned as a simple "currency A to currency B" transfer means. You can draw from a bank account in dollars (example) and send to a foreign bank account delivered in Euros (or whatever). It is essentially a wire transfer service and I am not aware of any limit on transfer size. There is always concern about money laundering so your receiving bank may require some sort of documentation in advance to validate the source of the funds. I have used Wise several times without problems.

Incidentally, if you do decide to hand-carry an amount you will want to be sure you and any accompanying traveler declare a joint amount. That is, if I declare 9K and my wife is carrying 2K, I need to declare 12K or risk having all our money confiscated. Good luck on the move.

That is, if I declare 9K and my wife is carrying 2K, I need to declare 12K or risk having all our money confiscated.
Just failed the math exam. 9+2 = 11. The point remains the same fortunately. If you decide to check it out, the Wise site (https://wise.com) has a mock transfer page that gives you the fee for the transfer you are projecting.

Now I am wondering if Wise can transfer from Argentina - I've always sent USA -> Argentina. Well, a little googling and it looks like you can, even if you wish to send ARS.

Last edited:
Wise has crappy conversation rates for USD to pesos. A few years ago you could send from Arg to the USA but I'm not sure about now, it's been a while since it was worth using.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Expat Life 0
Back