Calling from Europe with a local number

Smurf

Registered
I received a telephone call today from Europe on my mobile and the person had a local Argentinien telephone number displayed. I had no idea that is possible. How can they do that I asked the person and they said they just dialled my number...Anyone any ideas how an Argentinien number could display like that when someone calls from Europe?

I think this might happen if the caller is using some low cost provider. Telephone services in Europe were deregulated some time back, in some countries you can select the carrier call by call, or you can also have a subscription to one, for example for international calls.

I use Skype for most of my telephone calls. Skype displays my UK mobile number whenever I use it to make a phone call regardless of where in the world I am calling from

I received a telephone call today from Europe on my mobile and the person had a local Argentinien telephone number displayed. I had no idea that is possible. How can they do that I asked the person and they said they just dialled my number...Anyone any ideas how an Argentinien number could display like that when someone calls from Europe?
That is how Rebtel worked in the past. Maybe it still does. It was a callback service that routed the local portion of the call thru the traditional phone system. In the days before people had good internet.

I use Skype for most of my telephone calls. Skype displays my UK mobile number whenever I use it to make a phone call regardless of where in the world I am calling from
That’s correct, and it’s about the only use for Skype now. You do need to set your desired number in the caller ID. I have a monthly subscription just to call home and it works well.

Back