Camera And Tablet Stolen From Back In Ezeiza

jacobhansen

Registered
Hi Forum

I had some friends visiting today who are staying over BA for New Year.

Unfortunately when they received their luggage this morning in Ezeiza one of the bags had been opened and a camera and tablet computer had been stolen.

They want naturally to involve their insurance company but was recommended by Lufthansa airport personnel that it wasn't worth the hassle of reporting the incident to the local authorities and instead they should report it via Lufthansa.

I would like to know if any of you have had similar experiences or some good advice on what to do?

Cheers
Jacob

(on behalf of Anna and Mathias who just arrived to BA).

You should probably report it to the police, to lufthansa and to the insurance co. The insurance co may need there to be an active police report filed in order to do anything about it.

Yes - tough luck but leaving such things in luggage (assuming this was not hand luggage) is asking for trouble.

Similar thing happened to my g/f when we flew from Ezeiza to Santiago de Chile.

How do they prove that the theft happened in Ezeiza and not Frankfurt?

I would be rather surprised to hear that Lufthansa do not have an exclusion clause.

Maybe they will have a better chance with their Insurance - in which case they need to have reported it preferably to both the Airport Authorities and the Airline and to provide proof that this has been done.

Quite surprised that Lufthansa recommend that no police report is made.

Are they trying to hide something?

Have had numerous friends and family ripped off by baggage handlers at EZE. NEVER put valuables in checked baggage coming OR leaving here.

That sucks, and I hate to appear to be "blaming the victim" but as folks are saying .... NEVER put anything of value (especially electronics) in checked luggage. This is universal, but especially true on international flights. It's possibly the items never made it on the plane in Germany.

Hi Forum

I had some friends visiting today who are staying over BA for New Year.

Unfortunately when they received their luggage this morning in Ezeiza one of the bags had been opened and a camera and tablet computer had been stolen.

They want naturally to involve their insurance company but was recommended by Lufthansa airport personnel that it wasn't worth the hassle of reporting the incident to the local authorities and instead they should report it via Lufthansa.

I would like to know if any of you have had similar experiences or some good advice on what to do?

Cheers
Jacob

(on behalf of Anna and Mathias who just arrived to BA).

I'm curious ... do they have nice luggage which looks like it might contain something worth stealing? I use beat-up luggage which (I hope) looks like it would contain nothing worth stealing. (And actually doesn't!)

Thanks, Bob

I deliberately use a bag i bought at the Salvation Army thrift shop fir five dollars to avoid this problem. I did feel a bit silly checking in to First class at Ezeiza with that bag but it has served me well. Never put electronics in a checked bag!

At least for the baggage insurance that I typically buy, you have to report lost/stolen luggage to the airline. I don't believe a police report is necessary. They'd have to check the terms/conditions of the insurance they purchased, or the credit card company's insurance, if they have it.

Secondly, there is no scanning of incoming baggage between its trip from the plane to the luggage carousel at Ezeiza. It's loaded onto the truck, and driven off to the carousel, as far as I'm aware. So, for the folks at Ezeiza to steal anything from an incoming suitcase, it would be a lottery. Outgoing luggage is a different story, obviously.

My guess is that the items were stolen at the departing airport. Assuming they filed a claim with the airline, they should contact their insurance company and/or the credit card company (assuming they used a card to purchase their airline tickets in FULL) to see what--if any--coverage applies.

Agreed, it could have been stolen at either airport. And never, never, never put electronics of any kind in a checked bag. Or anything of value. Theft is rampant everywhere in the world at airports.

As for the rest, don't know. I would start with Luftansa and also their cc company.

Back