Can extranjeros open a Mercado Pago account

Are you saying there is a way to load up cash and pay for things without having an account?
No, ignore my answers if that is your requirement. I incorrectly read your post too quick, thinking about MercadoLibre.

This is exactly what I am trying to do.
Ordering via Mercado Libre isn't the issue, I was looking for a way to pay for things without needing to go out with stacks of cash, or resorting to a US credit/debit card which is absurd.
Are you saying there is a way to load up cash and pay for things without having an account?
Do you have precarious residency or just here as a tourist? If it's the later you can open an account at Banco Ciudad and get a debit card and I believe MODO which will let you pay by QR built in to the app.

Do you have precarious residency or just here as a tourist? If it's the later you can open an account at Banco Ciudad and get a debit card and I believe MODO which will let you pay by QR built in to the app.
I'm just a long-term tourist. But, do they let you deposit pesos into that account? It sounds like that's something, as a tourist, they would require you to deposit dollars and get an official rate which, if that is the case, would be no better than using a credit card.

Unless there is a special type of account I am missing, from what I see on the Banco Ciudad site, it is like every other bank.

EXTRANJEROS:​

• Documento de Identidad: Consultar requisitos en la solapa Instructivo.
  • Aquellas personas que tengan nacionalidad distinta a la Argentina, se le solicitará “Residencia Precaria” o “Residencia Permanente” según corresponda.

I'm just a long-term tourist. But, do they let you deposit pesos into that account? It sounds like that's something, as a tourist, they would require you to deposit dollars and get an official rate which, if that is the case, would be no better than using a credit card.
If "long term" tourist means your original tourist permit (or its extension) has expired, it won't matter. You would be consdered a "pseudo tourist" and the application for a tourist account would be rejected.

Last edited:

If "long term" tourist means your original tourist permit (or its extension) has expired, it won't matter. You would be consdered a "pseudo tourist" and the application for a tourist account would be rejected.

Even if you could make Western Union transfers directly into a "tourist" account at the Wetern Union rtae of the day, it mght not be wise to apply for one if your tourist permit has expired. The bank may be required to report pseudo tourists to AFIP and/ or migraciones. If a certificado de domicilio s required to open a tourist account, you would have provided them with a direct path to your door with a deportation order.

This might sound far fetched, but I remember when RADEX was first rolled out, there was a "plan" to require doctors to have apps on their cell phones they could (and would be required to) use to report individuals with "irregular" migration status. If your tourist permit has expired, you are incuded in that category. RADEX was first promoted as an desirabe (if not "easy" way for those with irregular immigration status to get it "sorted" out, but it looked more like a "sting" operation to me...and I said so at the time.

Last edited:
I never said anything about having an expired tourist permit. I have been in and out over the past 3+ years, and I'm here with my pickup from the US so I definitely have to stay legal unless I wasn't to give AFIP my vehicle.

That said, is there specific information anywhere about opening such a tourist account as a non-resident tourist? I can't find anything.

I'm just a long-term tourist.
I never said anything about having an expired tourist permit. I have been in and out over the past 3+ years, and I'm here with my pickup from the US so I definitely have to stay legal unless I wasn't to give AFIP my vehicle.
Now I understand.

You don't have an expired tourist visa because you don't want AFIP to confiscate your truck and you have been border hopping often enough to keep your truck "legal" (at least in your mind) as well as not "having an expired tourist permit."

It would be interesting to know how often you are making these border runs and how long you stay out of Argentina each time before reentering.

In the past 3+ years has the Aduana at the border or migraciones ever said anything to you about what you are doing?

If migraciones asked what you are doing in Argentina, would you answer (using your own terminology), "I'm just a long term tourist," which is known as residencia transitoria and does not entail the "right" to reenter the country

Are you familiar with the DNU that makes "abuse of the tourist visa" illegal and it only takes ONE border agent to make that determination and deny you and your truck from reentering for up to five years?

That said, is there specific information anywhere about opening such a tourist account as a non-resident tourist? I can't find anything.
Even if you discover that you can open a tourist account (with a "special" dollar rate), it might be "unwise" to have a significant amount on deposit when you make your next border run, especially if you are denied reenrty and have no way of withdrawing the funds from outside of Argentina as the debit card associated with the account may only be usable in Argentina.

It might also be "unwise" to leave anything of significant value in Argentina at that time.

PS: I suggest you read what Rich wrote in post 10 of this thread:

At least Rich had temporary residency (at the least) when this happened and he could legally sell the car in Chile...

Last edited:
We spend many months outside of the country as well. Other than being stuck here for an extended period during pandemic, we are clearly not trying to live here, just traveling extensively and we have had no problems...except when AFIP tried (unsuccessfully) to sequester our truck during the pandemic. We have been traveling all of the Americas, from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego for over 15 years now.

Now, if we could please stop worrying about our specific situation and address the topic - Is there any specific information online about this "Tourist Account" and it's requirements as I can find no mention of it?

Back