Can foreigners buy dollars with card anywhere?

I'm looking to get some dollars in cash to give as a gift but I'm not sure how to get them. Could I walk into an exchange place and just say "$5000 USD please"? or how does it work?

No.

You can wire an exchange place money, and then they will give you $5000 USD. You can send them USDT or USDC as well.

Do you know if anyone who is not an account holder at that bank can (still) walk ino any branch of that bank and buy dollars, especially a foreiignr without a DNI, even if they have the digital nomad visa?

Aren't there serious resrtictions on who can buy dollas at a bank,,,as well as how much?
No, I don't know that, sorry, I'm not in that position as I have a DNI. I just withdraw Dollars from my local Dollar account, when I have them, that is.

yeah, that's the way to go then. the card isn't gonna help much.
If you're not on WU's shitlist that will work fine (it can be a PITA to have to find a WU place with enough Pesos for you, though, my experience hasn't been great)

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper and much quicker to send "yourself" enough pesos by Western Union and change them for dollars in a cueva?
In cash though? Getting millions of pesos in cash from Western (which is actually annoying to do) then trading them for dollars sounds actually way more annoying than just going to Colonia

Many local exchange locations/ cuevas have western union service. Seems a lot less annoying than schlepping around between banks and exchange houses in Uruguay.

In cash though? Getting millions of pesos in cash from Western (which is actually annoying to do) then trading them for dollars sounds actually way more annoying than just going to Colonia
if you are trying to get your hands on thousands in USD, then no, WU is not going to be a good option. you should just travel outside and bring them back in with you. just know that you will have to declare it over 10k bringing it back in.

Back