Can I Apply For Citizenship?

mrsamweb

Registered
Hello,

I´ve been living in Argentina since late 2009. I got a temporary residency (no-mercosur) twice but I couldn´t get a permanent residency because I miss my second prorroga. Now my DNI is expired (6 months ago) and, at the moment, can´t apply for another temporary residency.

With this background... Can I apply for citizenship? If the answer is affirmative.. can somebody guide me through this process? Like a list of steps I must follow to apply? (I searched on Google but didn´t find anything).

Thank you very much in advance.

Citizenship is through the federal courts, not through migraciones. someone just made a really great post recently will all the different avenues for going through migraciones. Anyone have the link handy? (or "handly" as my lovely Argentine says)

You can use the advanced search feature of this site to find everything you need to know about applying for citizenship.

Click on the sprocket next to the magnifying glass.

Search in titles only for "Argentine citizenship for foreigners" and "immigration for dummies."

Citizenship is through the federal courts, not through migraciones. someone just made a really great post recently will all the different avenues for going through migraciones. Anyone have the link handy? (or "handly" as my lovely Argentine says)

http://baexpats.org/topic/29534-immigration-for-dummies/page__hl__%2Bimmigration+%2Bfor+%2Bdummies

Just curious, is it possible to apply for citizenship if I am no longer a resident of Argentina? I'm sure it isn't possible, but is it "possible," if you know what I mean. Anyone tried it?

Just curious, is it possible to apply for citizenship if I am no longer a resident of Argentina? I'm sure it isn't possible, but is it "possible," if you know what I mean. Anyone tried it?

The definition of residency that is used by the courts for citizenship is different from the definition of residency as used by migraciones.

As far as the citizenship process is concerned, your "Argentine residency" started the first day you set foot on Argentine soil.

Nonetheless, one of the documents that you would need to submit when you first apply for Argentine citizenship is a certifciado de domicilio that is less than 48 (might even be 24) hours old and you would have to be available to have you fingerprints taken by the police when you are told to do so...at the least.

If you can comply with those requirements and would be able to return to Argentina (quickly) when anything else is required, it might be possible, but you would probably have a much greater chance of success if you use a lawyer with a proven track record.

You would be well advised to find a lawyer who will accept you case with 50% prepayment of his/her fees and a guarantee that you will win or the other 50% will not be collected. Even with those terms, you should not expect a refund of the initial payment if you case is denied.

If you previously lived in Argentina for two years (regardless of when your residency was granted by migraciones), I think you will have a better chance, but that's just my own hunch. You still might have to be willing to come back for as long as a year to get through the process. It all depends on how often you need to make an appearance when and where you are told to do so,

Short answer: it would appear that, yes, you can. Look through the threads. You can be here on a tourist visa, it wouldn't matter. All that is required basically is two years of continuously living here (and a short break is not an issue I think.) Look through previous threads, it's all there.

Hello,

Thank you everybody for your answers. So, citizenship it´s an option and, in your opinion, is better to just hire a lawyer? (Since I don´t have, for example, a legal job (but I have proof of income).

Thanks!

It's up to you. Hiring a lawyer might help you expedite the process if the lawyer knows what her or she is doing and has good connections. If not, it doesn't sound that it is really that difficult and even some on this forum went through the whole process with nary a hiccup. From what I understand, a lot depends on the kind of judge you get and other such factors.

Back