Can I buy meat in the duty free shops in Ezeiza?

GabrielaBsAs

Registered
Hi,

Mi dad is a meat lover and I would like to take some argentine cuts (like bife de chorizo or a vacio) back home for Christmas. Europe - Schengen Zone.

Is it possible to buy meat in the duty free or can I just buy some cuts in the supermarket?

Do I need special papers?

Thanks!!

You can't buy it in the duty free and I'm pretty sure there's no way you can pass it through customs at any airport.
Besides, how are you gonna take it and keep it fresh??

Isn't that like a 16 hour flight ??? I'm guessing it might spoil on the way since I doubt they'll let you bring dry ice on a plane.

Dry ice is allowed in small quantities, like half a kilogram or so. Good enough for that purpose

They do sell it but it depends on which country you are going to, so you might want to check beforehand. To the US for example, no way, no how. Maybe call the airport? Or the Free Shop directly? No idea how you might get this information, sorry. Actually, I suppose you just ask when you get there. If they let you, you buy it, if you can't you don't. Simple!

That meat won't spoil for a week or two. Not the way it's packed.

It all comes down to whether your country (or zone) allows it or not. I think that Europe imports beef from here, so I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

Buy meat at the supermarket and put it in the luggage you check in. If you do it correctly it will stay frozen all the way. Even if its 16-20hs door-to-door. This is how:
You need:
-Strong packaging tape
-Plastic box. 3-7 liters depending on quantity
-Freezing elements
-Newspapers

Place the vacuum packed meat with the freezing elements in the plastic box. Wrap newspapers around it and go hard on the tape. Place it in the freezer 24hs before your flight.

Just before you catch the taxi to the airport, you place the box in your suitcase.

Given your luggage don't get lost on the way or your stopped by customs, you will have frozen meat when you arrive.

There's currently a $300 fine for bringing in fruits or meat at MIA :eek:... I wouldn't risk it... I really don't think they care where you got it from.

Back