Price of meat will skyrocket

perry

Registered
Went to lunch yesterday at El Litoral, price for same meal was a little over double what it was nearly a year ago. If you know the place (very 'popular' prices for good meat), in previous years there was a line of locals, but not yesterday. The restaurant I passed on Pasco that gets the impatient overflow customers was empty.

It's one thing to see shorter lines at Don Julio; but restaurants in the poorer barrios, I don't know how they survive when salaries keep locals dining at home. This is the part of the economic recovery plan that always made me a skeptic; unless salaries keep pace with inflation, at best there's a depression, right?

But it seems there would be a lot of unrest if people at the top of the (literal) food chain don't resist the temptation to maximize profit with deregulated pricing. I could see BA ending up like NYC, with the small businesses closing and big chains taking over the spaces. Alas.

(edit to mention they didn't have any lomo, perhaps they stopped selling more expensive cuts)

Last edited:
Well you wanted a change of government . Prices were controlled for generations now they will be international but with slave wages for argentinian people .

Yeah I wanted a change of government after the last decades of hell, prices could times by 10 and I wouldn't change my mind about that, I want the Argentine people to have a future before worrying about my expat dollars. VLLC

Meat will be a luxury item for all very soon and those parillas in Palermo will be Us 100 per head in La Cabrera and others . This new government is causing a lot of grief for the populace

it really is sad how short sighted you are

Yeah I wanted a change of government after the last decades of hell, prices could times by 10 and I wouldn't change my mind about that, I want the Argentine people to have a future before worrying about my expat dollars. VLLC
You seem to have a lot of faith in Milei's plan (in terms of helping the Argentine people); what would have to happen for you to think it wasn't a good idea?

Everyone thinks it will be at least 6 months of suffering, and to me that's not an indication that it will fail in the end; but how long would the suffering have to continue for the Milei-ists to lose faith? The full 4 years?

I could see this turning out so that the average Argentine experiences less inflation, nation as a whole gets out of debt, new foreign investors arrive and corporations profit; but the poverty rate doesn't improve (and perhaps gets worse). Would that be a win in the eyes of Milei supporters? Or do you not think that's a possible outcome?

You seem to have a lot of faith in Milei's plan (in terms of helping the Argentine people); what would have to happen for you to think it wasn't a good idea?

Everyone thinks it will be at least 6 months of suffering, and to me that's not an indication that it will fail in the end; but how long would the suffering have to continue for the Milei-ists to lose faith? The full 4 years?

I could see this turning out so that the average Argentine experiences less inflation, nation as a whole gets out of debt, new foreign investors arrive and corporations profit; but the poverty rate doesn't improve (and perhaps gets worse). Would that be a win in the eyes of Milei supporters? Or do you not think that's a possible outcome?
Of course it's a possible outcome; it would be a longterm win because ultimately the free market is the most effective poverty reduction tool.

Cleaning up the legacy of Peronism is going to be messy business with a lot of splinters, and unfortunately, many of these splinters will be people and family. Yet the status quo was creating more poverty each year and was on the road to collapse. So pick your poison; at least in Milei's case, that poison is a chemotherapeutic (imo).

Time will tell. Hoping for the best.

Back